tarawrawr's Reviews > Shut Out

Aug 25, 11

bookshelves: own-arc, released-wishlist
Read on August 23, 2011

ORIGINALLY POSTED HERE

I am one of those people who absolutely loved The DUFF by Kody Keplinger. It’s so refreshing for someone to actually talk about sex in a young adult book, and I’m so glad that Kody Keplinger wasn’t afraid to do it again in Shut Out.

I was a bit iffy when I started Shut Out. The main character, Lissa, is a total control freak. And it drove me craaaazy for the first fifty pages or so. I just wanted her to shut up and stop telling her brother and dad and Randy what to do. But then we sort of got to know why she was that way, and I understood her more. And also sort of scarily related to her with the counting thing – I am OBSESSED with time. I have to be at least half an hour early to everything :/

As for the other characters – let me give you a quick rundown. I HATE HATE HATE HATED Randy. So very much. I thought Chloe was hilarious. And I loveeeed Cash. Kody Keplinger, who has only two published books out so far, has gotten me to fall for both of her love interests. Cash was much nicer and sweeter than Wesley in The DUFF (who I loved as well!), and the star game? Yes!

As for the storyline – I haven’t read Lysistrata. But I loved how Kody Keplinger addressed the issue of sex head-on and didn’t backdown, not for a second. The whole point of Shut Out is that the girls are witholding sex and sexy-ish acts from the guys until they stop fighting, so there’s really no way to avoid it. I’m not going to get into the whole right/wrong/etc debate but let me just say, this is probably my favourite line from Shut Out – “I want to be normal, but no one talks about sex, so how should I know what normal is?”

Gah, anyway – I loved Shut Out. And I think you should read it. From what I’m seeing, a lot of people who didn’t like The DUFF are really liking Shut Out, so don’t let that stop you! Shut Out opens an important topic up for discussion in an interesting and entertaining way. The characters are dynamic, the romance is steamy, and the storyline definitely sucks you in.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shut Out.

08/23/2011 page 49