Ladyslott's Reviews > Once Upon a Time, There Was You

Once Upon a Time, There Was You by Elizabeth Berg

Dec 15, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: library, kindle, mother-daughter-relationship, divorce, kidnapping, marriage, 2011
Read in May, 2011

It’s always hard for me to write a review of a book by a favorite author when I am disappointed with the book. Such is the case with Elizabeth’s Berg’s latest. I usually love her books and relate to the characters but this book felt flat and uninvolving.

The basic storyline revolves around Irene and John, a middle aged divorced couple who live in different states and share custody of their daughter Sadie. When a family emergency arises John and Irene are brought back together and we learn a lot about their past.

Main problem? I didn’t like John or Irene; John is so puritanical and rigid in his thinking and Irene is such a smother mother and whiner I didn’t want to spend anytime with them. Sadie, who is only 18 was far more likeable, even when she wasn’t making the smartest decisions. Just when the book got interesting it was over. I think I would be more interested in the story that happens after the last page of this book.

Definitely not on par with her other novels.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Time, There Was You.