Tay [is yumalishious]'s Reviews > By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead

By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters

Sep 03, 11

Read from December 15 to 17, 2010

I thought that it was a good book to show how drasticly people react to things like being called names and being made fun of. I feel like the people in this book actually exist. Although I really liked this book, there was a reason for me giving it four stars. She gave up. She was a hard character to get at the beginning because I haven't had to deal with characters before, but by the end of the book I viewed her as a heroine and... she died. She. Just. Gave. Up. I really liked her character and wish that in the end she didn't die.

Every book that I've read has had some sort of happy ending. Ever since I was little, "Oh, she got her prince!' or "The evil witch died and the people in the kingdom lived happily ever after!" In real life "happily ever after" is so hard to achieve that I don't think it has happened to anyone. Although when adults read those "magic" stories to you they made you think that everything was going to be all right when in the back of their mind they know isn't true. That's why those five and six year old girls think that by the time that they turn sixteen they will be married to a handsome prince and live in a pink castle.

This book was my first realization into what can happen to people that are your best friends, or just some random person you pass in the hall on your way to class. The way that she died and the information in the back of the book really opened my eyes to what can happen. I told my mom what this book was about and she shooshed me because the topic that it's on is- too- too, I don't even know. I am thoroughly surprised that they kept it on the summer reading list.

Recently, a boy that I knew attempted to commit suicide and ended up getting put in a medically induced coma. A week and a half later he died and the teachers couldn't even talk to us about it. I think that they think if they talk about it, then we will do it, that's not true. Although I don't understand why this boy would go suicidal because his family was so kind and nice, he still tried. I know that this isn't really a review of the book, but it goes along with the message that the author was trying to send to its readers.

This book was an eye-opener and I suggest it to anyone and everyone.

Just want to say something to the parents of that boy.
I can't even imagine the pain that you went through, and you're still going through. The pain of losing one child at seventeen months is enough to even attempt to handle, but to lose your fourteen year old too is just too much to bare. I just want you to know that I feel so bad and the memory of him will go on forever because he was so kind and helpful to everyone. He cared enough to set up a toy drive at Christmas because he didn't want anyone to go without a present.
Fly high. Always missed, never forgotten.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead.

12/15/2010 page 60

Revel I would hardly call bullying a 'little thing' ...

Jennifer Crispin It's interesting-- I didn't read that she died. I felt the ending was ambiguous enough that I can interpret it to mean she survives. I took her deleting her account to mean she was going to survive.

Brit Yea, I agree with Jennifer. The way it ended it didn't say whether or not she died, it really left it to the reader to decide what they thought.

Dana I agree with Jennifer and Brit. It literally didn't say whether or not she died. That boy you knew, Jennifer, was a sweet, loving young man who just wanted the best for everyone else and I'm the same way. There's this saying on FB and part of it says 'People with the biggest hearts get hurt the most.' I believe it, too.

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Mamer Spoiler alert would be a helpful addition to your review :)