Stacey (prettybooks)'s Reviews > Inside Book Publishing

Inside Book Publishing by Clark Giles

Feb 13, 11

bookshelves: read-after-university, read-in-my-twenties
Read from December 30, 2010 to February 13, 2011

NOTE: This book uses case studies from the UK publishing industry so bear that in mind if you're not from the UK. However, it definitely would still be helpful and informative for non-UK residents because I imagine things like marketing, sales, rights, terminology etc would be very similar and applicable to other countries.

I bought Inside Book Publishing as a recent graduate hoping to start a career in the publishing industry within publicity or marketing. I gave the book 4/5 instead of 5/5 for two reasons:

1) I had hoped (and assumed) there would be more information about the publicity side of publishing. Although publicity is not completely separate from marketing (and therefore is talked about in the marketing section of this book) I think it would have been better for it to have its own chapter like other areas of publishing have in the book. As this is an area of publishing I am interested in, it would have been helpful if it had more information on what being a publicist/publicity assistant entails.

2) Another problem I had with the book was that not all terminology was explained properly (even in the glossary), which I think is needed since this book would most likely be bought by those wanting to enter the publishing industry or those who have recently gotten a publishing job.

Apart from these two issues, I found the book extremely informative. It is not too complicated and describes the process of publishing a book, and the people involved, from beginning to end (and from the author to the consumer). It gives specific examples (such as of a specific book or publisher) which is instrumental in helping the reader understand certain sectors sufficiently. The chapter on starting a career in the publishing industry was also very insightful.

The contents of the book is:
1. Introduction
13. The sales channels for books in the UK
14. Getting into publishing
Glossary
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside Book Publishing.

01/17/2011 page 12
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie is it good?

Stacey (prettybooks) I've only read one chapter at the moment but yeah, it is :) It's about the UK market though so I'd bare that in mind if you wanted to buy it.

message 3: by Liam (new)

Liam there was a glossary in the back of at least the 4th ed

Stacey (prettybooks) I know. I mentioned the glossary :)