Tim Wolfe's Reviews > Off Armageddon Reef

Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber

Dec 15, 2010

It's not often that I find a new to me, well established author that I really, really enjoy in the sci-fi or fantasy space. The overall story is that an alien race has kicked humanity's ass in intergalactic war and in order to save the human race, a planet is settled and then given NO technology as to avoid the notice of the aliens. A rogue contingent of the leadership decides that a short interval without tech is not sufficient and hardwires the genetic memories of the settlers to erase all knowledge of human history and institute a racial fear of tech via a hardline theocracy that makes it heresy to invent new technology. The series covers one individuals attempts to right the course of humanity and get them moving back towards the stars and true survivability. While it is technically sci-fi, it reads much more like medieval history and the characters and dialogue are a joy to read. Can't say enough good things about this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Off Armageddon Reef.