Elizabeth's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

2071884
Dec 15, 10

Read in December, 2010

I liked/loved this book. It is a YA book and I read it to see if my newly-turned-13 year old grandson would like it as it was recommended highly to me by a mother of a 14 year old. It has some impressive blurbs on the cover from librarians to comedians and won a National Book Award. I am a little hesitant to give it because it deals with some pretty intense subjects, violence, bullying, masturbation, death, alcoholism and poverty; it is very funny as well. Great illustrations by Ellen Forney help flesh out the story because the main character, Junior, wants to be a cartoonist so it follows that he draws. He says, "I think the world is a series of broken dams and floods, and my cartoons are tiny little lifeboats." The situations are very understandable and believable as it is set on an Indian (Spokane) reservation and is based on the author's own experience growing up. Uplifting as well. the book is ultimately about a young man determined to rise above his circumstances but also about a young man who has compassion for family and friends. I think it would be appropriate for a young teen, maybe 14, and I would recommend it highly but suggest a parent read it first.