Susan Erhardt's Reviews > The Magician's Nephew

Dec 15, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: childrens-chapter-books
Read in December, 2010

I read this in graduate school (about 17 years ago), but recently re-read it (actually listened to it). I really don't think the publisher should have renumbered the series to put this one first. There are so many little things that a reader would get so much more out of if she had first read "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" (the lamp post's origin, the white witch's origin, Aslan's character...). I found the part telling of Narnia's "birth" rather draggy, but overall enjoyed the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Nephew.

message 1: by Cory (new)

Cory Interesting tidbit . . . it was C.S. Lewis' original intent for this book to be #1 in the series, and that's why they were renumbered. Pretty much everyone in the world is annoyed by the renumber, though.

Susan Erhardt no one likes change!

Tricia The compilation we currently have says "Although The Magician's Nephew was written several years after C. S. Lewis first began The Chronicles of Narnia, he wanted it to be read as the first book in the series. Harper Collins is happy to present these books in the order in which Professor Lewis preferred."

But yeah, whatever - I'm with Susan on this! I think there are some lovely mysteries in LW&W that are more enjoyable and work better if you read it first.

The new numbering also puts The Horse and His Boy third, despite it being the fifth published. We skipped that for now, because my 7yo wants us to get to Dawn Treader (to prepare for the movie). I did, however, insist we read Prince Caspian first!

Susan Erhardt I think we're going to see Dawn Treader tomorrow. I haven't re-read it yet, but Corinna can't wait one more second. She has now listened to the entire series so many times that she can quote passages word for word, albeit not always completely correctly. She asked me the other day, "What does letalong mean? You know like "...he couldn't defeat Edward, letalong Peter, in a fight".

Tricia Toby isn't familiar with Dawn Treader at all, but I guess he remembers plot elements from the Prince Caspian movie. Last night we were reading the chapter where they first encounter the dwarf, and he knew what was going to happen (unlike me, who has read it at least twice and watched the movie).