Shannon's Reviews > The Devotion of Suspect X

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from December 15, 2010 to January 14, 2011

The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino
Review by shayrp
High School math teacher, Ishigami, lives for the brief encounters he has with his beautiful neighbor. Yasuko, single mom of a teenager, lives for her daughter. When Yasuko’s abusive ex husband tracks them down and threatens that life, she defends it. With a dead body on her hands she accepts the help of her neighbor, Ishigami, a man she barely knows. Ishigami, takes over and keeps Yasuko from being arrested with his passion for problem solving. In spite of all of Ishigami’s work, Detective Kusanagi can’t shake being suspicious of Yasuko and with the help of, Yukawa, an old friend of Ishigami’s, he uncovers emotional clues and connections. Even when it seems that the detective is going to figure out the mystery, Ishigami will do anything to keep Yasuko out of prison and Yasuko discovers that his devotion to her is too big of a burden.
I couldn’t put this novel down. Even a day after reading it I am still thinking about the story. I enjoy fiction that could easily be reality. The pacing was wonderful and I almost wish I hadn’t read it as quickly as I did. I, without a doubt, recommend this one. Even though the plot was pretty obvious in the beginning there were a couple of moments that surprised me, and had me saying “wow” out loud.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devotion of Suspect X.

01/13/2011 page 170