Lorileinart's Reviews > Goat Song: A Seasonal Life, A Short History of Herding, and the Art of Making Cheese

Goat Song by Brad Kessler

F_50x66
Dec 15, 10

A few weeks back, we were considering the purchase of an old farmhouse in New Hampshire. The rolling hills, the historic barn (complete with working grain elevator), the swaying grasses of the meadow...all these things led to the idea of raising a few goats to provide me with artisinal chevre (the fantasy also including a journey to the French countryside, where I worked as an apprentice to learn the trade from the masters). This book sat on my nightstand long after the fantasy had ended, and one night, with nothing else to do, I read the first page and was completely hooked.
This is a mystical book. The dust jacket makes comparision to Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, which I also adore.
Brad Kessler shares his journey from the crowded streets of NYC to the quiet isolation of a Vermont farm. Here, on a whim, he and his wife become goatherders. It's a spiritual journey that eventually convinced me without question that I am not cut out for such a life.
But I still wouldn't mind the apprenticeship in the Loire Valley, just to make sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goat Song.