Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Black Wings

Black Wings by Christina Henry

Dec 15, 10

bookshelves: kat-s-book-reviews, just-plain-bad
Read on December 15, 2010

This book had a lot of potential in the imagination department. I mean, the main character is a soul collector. We can ignore the tenous links to the Georgina Kincaid series while doing this review. Mostly because the Georgina Kincaid series and I are no longer on speaking terms. That bitch knows what she did!

Any way, this story's one strength is quickly overwhelmed by its poor, stilted writing, vague and non-plausible story arcs and two-dimensional cardboard cut-outs.

The story goes that we meet Madeline:

MC
Okay, I admit this looks nothing like her but stick with me here.

She is a soul collector, it's her job and it's going alright except her boss:

JB
Okay, once again, nothing like him but... yeah, I'm lazy. Give me a break!

Well, her boss is an asshole, but it's nothing she can't handle until mysterious bad guys kill her best friend and try to kill her. Then this guy turns up:

cardboard cut out guy
No disclaimers for this one.

He's brooding and mysterious and Madeline is SURE something is up.

Now, I can't actually go much further into the plot except to say that secrets come out, powers are revealed and love triangles are forming.

love triangles
Love triangles like this. And this time I mean EXACTLY like this!

If only Madeline was nothing more than a pathetic MC like Bella. That would have been an actual improvement. But she's not.

[image error]
That's right! She's vamp Madeline! Super powered and running through a forest in the ugliest dress imaginable while her boyfriend sparkles in the sunshine!

This story would be the equivalent of me writing a wank fantasy in which I wake up tomorrow, find out the Queen of England is my Grandmother, Obama is my father and I'm engaged to Prince William despite the freaky incest that implies. Whilst discovering all this, I also have the secret to the dawn of humanity and my entire species and I also have inherited the powers of Spiderman only I will not wear spandex and I'll be a hundred times cooler.

Nobody actually wants to read that story because it's LAME.

My last final point is that I'm so freakin' over the whole Nephilim thing. Sure it's fun for fantasy's sake but now the whole trend is annoying me. Since it all decended from the most ridiculous misinterpretation of a single sentence in the Bible I want to clarify this so that I don't have to read anymore of these annoying YA Paranormal trashbooks that romanticize Angels.

Genesis 6:1-6

Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God (bene Elohim) saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose.

Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.”

The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God (bene Elohim) came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown. Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Nephilim is very like it's root word Naphal which does mean "to fall" yet it the context is FAR more likely to refer to fallen MEN since the angels already did their falling before creation. Fallen men as in Adam's sons because man had Fallen. Yet this is referring to his Godly sons. Get it? The term actually used for Angel is Kalm Mal'ak. This term is used just a few books later by Eliphaz in the book of Job. In fact, no where in the Bible are fallen angels referred to as sons of God. You know who is though? Men. Men who serve God. Like Adam, is referred to as the son of God in Luke 3. Then others in Matthew 5:9, Romans 8:14, Romans 8:19, Galatians 3:26. Hosea 1:10 says that Godly people will be terms Sons of the Living God.

bible bashing
DO YOU GET WHAT I AM TELLING YOU!?!?!?!?!?!

There. Now you all know. Stop writing this crap and move onto more original ideas. Writing Biblical fanfiction is so old that the Hebrews were doing it a few days after the book of Genesis came around the watering hole for inspection.

It's called The Book of Enoch and it is ALSO responsible for another dumb plot-device that gives me headaches: Lilith.

Lilith
Hint: she doesn't exist, and even if she did - she would look totally more badass than this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Wings.

Comments (showing 1-24)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Kristin I've been following your reviews because we have similar tastes and I think you're hysterically funny. I can't wait to read your review on this one.

message 23: by Chichipio (new)

Chichipio Uhh... 2 stars. This should be good. Rant away!

message 22: by Chichipio (new)

Chichipio ha! doesn't exist, she says… pffff… what's next? are you going to tell us that Santa is a fictional character propagated by evil corporations to serve capitalism? yeah, right, I *air quotes* believe you.

Now, seriously, nice review.

Kat Kennedy Lol! You may think I'm silly but you wouldn't believe how many people think Nephilim are real!

message 20: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca "And another one gone
And another one gone
Another one bites the dust
Hey, I'm gonna get you too
Another one bites the dust.
Yeah.

KATastrophe in canon. Again.

message 19: by AH (new) - added it

AH G.N. - KATastrophe in canon. Again. Clever!

Kat - have no idea what the book is about, but there were some nice pictures in your review....

There are books that exist outside of the bible that were written approximately the same time - and they do talk about angels, hierarchies of angels, and the nephilim. Doesn't mean they exist but there is a lot of literature that got edited out of the bible that has this stuff in it. It makes for some interesting reading and some not so great fodder for books.

Kat Kennedy AH - these books, like the book of Enoch weren't actually edited out. They were NEVER part of the Torah - the Jewish canon and were always closely linked with Jewish mysticism as opposed to the actual religion which is why I stated that, Biblically, they don't exist.

But I do have a fascination with these texts!

Sam - there's nothin wrong with an angel book. Especially when the author makes it clear that they're putting a new slight on the angel mythology. This one was just plain ignorance and a disinterest in research which I hate!

message 17: by AH (new) - added it

AH What is fascinating about these texts is that along with the angel books, they also edited out a few books with women as heroes. Can't remember the exact gist of the stories - but these books appear on and off later on. Interesting stuff. Would make a very interesting da vinci code type novel. If only I could write....

message 16: by Synesthesia (new)

Synesthesia Awww. But Lilith seems so cool. Also the name is cool too.

I hate nephilim. They were jerks in Angelogy.
Actually, angels in the bible don't even look like beautiful people but they look quite freaky.
Also I like talking like Reid from Criminal Minds.

Kat Kennedy Wellllllllllllllllll Synesthesia,

Since I've gone into biblical scholar mode!

There are angels in the bible who are freaky as all hell. However, angels appear in many forms because there are many different types. Some take on the guise of humans and can travel around people undisturbed.

Others are human like but clearly beautiful/awe inspiring etc.

And others have like fifty gajillion eyes and a body made up of an exotic butchery that's dabbling in Frankenstinen vet practises.

message 14: by AH (new) - added it

AH Kat, you are the coolest. Biblical scholar mode!

I took a course in university many years ago and we had a whole section on angels. I wish I had kept those notes. There were hundreds of different kinds of angels in the literature. The closer you got to God the more awesome those angels were.

From what I remember Lilith was a demon - she was responsible for infant death. She definitely looked way more badass than the picture you posted. Scary!

message 13: by Synesthesia (new)

Synesthesia Lilith was part of some sort of Jewish Midrash. I learned about her from a Neil Gaiman story.
I think they wanted to explain about Genesis or something and how the story is written out male and female God created them, but you get a different line in the next verse or something.
Shame I can't get an uncensored bible from the Celestial Library.
Which is something I really want to exist.

Kat Kennedy *sigh* the two differing lines are in every bible but The Lilith explanation was never part of the Bible because it was always retarded and always based on the stupidest misinterpretation of how Genesis works. Since the day Enoch was written, anyone with a brain was facepalming at the mere mention of it.

It's funny but the Bible is actually very respectful to women and Jewish cultural mysticism is NOT with a capital FUCK NO.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lane This review was so funny! Well done.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Great review, and I agree 100%, I gave the exact same rating for this book!

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather Great review Kat. Just one thing, the niphilim angle is still up for grabs.

The passage you cited tells us that "When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose" (vv. 1, 2). ....

"The sons of God" might mean descendants of the godly line of Seth, who according to this interpretation would be said to have married unbelieving women. Or it might refer to angels, as do the only other exact uses of the phrase in the Old Testament (Job. 1:6; 2:1; 38:7).

The thing that makes these verses so interesting is that three New Testament passages seem to also refer to them: 1 Peter 3:18-22; 2 Peter 2:4, 5; and Jude 6, 7. These passages say in part: "Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built" (1 Peter 3:18-20); "For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment; if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others" (2 Peter 2:4, 5); and "the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home-these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day" (Jude 6).

Also, the term "sons of God" refers to those created by God, which includes angels. Angels are also specifically referred to as son of god in the book of Daniel.

Jahlia ((thing 10 Evil 1)) Why do they always mess with lilith? Like in a lot of Nephilim books they ALWAYS mention lilith! If you do mention lilith do good job! Supernatural certainly did!

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I adored this (and your other reviews) to no end. Your message tells me to stop reading this book right now, and possibly set it on fire, but I am going to chance it anyways...I will let you know when you can say "I told you so" I am hoping it will fall on the lines of hysterical and crappy plagiarism.

message 6: by Amos (new)

Amos I especially love the picture of the hand chopping the book. It really furthers your point.
And it was always to my understanding that angels were neuter.
And Heather - Lucifer was an Angel who sinned and abandoned his home and position. He convinced others to as well. That might be what the New Testiment was talking about. An interpretation.

Eyehavenofilter Somehow... ( ok I'm a snob) just from the cover I knew this would prolly' be bad and not in a good way...I like paper dolls but not in the books I read.

message 4: by Natalia (new) - added it

Natalia Sulca I'm just curious lol. What did Georgina do to you? :)

message 3: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner Loved the review and this conversation and am off sending you a friend request as well as making a note not to read this book.

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica U had me at the love triangle. I appreciate the warning because I hate books like this.

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard I'm curious what Georgina Kincaid did to piss you off.