Chibineko's Reviews > Eden

Eden by Phil Rossi

Dec 14, 10

bookshelves: podiobook
Read in July, 2010

I'm kind of torn between giving this 3 stars & giving it 4. As far as books in general go, this was amazing. Good plot, interesting characters, & a great mystery. As far as Rossi's books go, this was good but not great. It wasn't as enthralling as Harvey or as creepy as Crescent was. In the end I figure it's more of a 3.5, so I gave it the extra half a star.

The story for this short story follows auditor Dr. Malcolm Green as he's sent to investigate space station Lola. Doing scientific audits is nothing new for Malcolm, but this isn't your normal audit. Lola's crew is investigating an unusual occurence, something that has no business being in the extremes of space: a tree that grows tall & strong over Uranus. As strange occurrences escalate, Malcolm begins to realize that the tree called Eden is more than just a strange tree growing in space.

There's a lot to like about this story. While some of the character designs were reminiscent of Rossi's characters in Crescent, they were still well done & well rounded characters. Character development in a short story or novella can be difficult to do & Rossi pulled it off wonderfully. Also interesting was the mystery of the tree- I'm not going to post any spoilers, but this was an interesting story & I'm just sorry that this was so short. There's a lot of potential to this story for more.

I heartily recommend this, especially since you can download this for free from either the author's site or from podiobooks.com!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eden.