Staci Hart's Reviews > Ironside

Ironside by Holly Black

Dec 14, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, great-heroines

I definitely enjoyed this book more than Tithe. The character development was much more effective - getting to know Corny specifically. The story was great, then ending was good, everyone had their cake and got to eat it, which is always nice.

One thing that I really appreciated these books is that they're so gritty. I've been getting really sick of the pious teens in the typical YA genre, the Bella Swans (though I love twilight, it seems that every YA fantasy character is a derivative of her) that don't drink, don't swear, don't rat their hair. It was refreshing to see a bunch of burn outs and poor kids that steal and smoke and swear and hook up. It's honestly much more indicative of modern teens, and I think way more relatable.

I understand why YA's have good girl heroines, to provide a role model - but I think it's more valuable to see people screw up and watch what they have to go through to learn than to have a role model that's completely unrealistic and out of touch with real teens.

Anyway - off the soap box - these books were a great; short, easy read with an interesting, fast paced storyline. Two thumbs up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ironside.