Legsoffury's Reviews > This Alien Shore

This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman

Dec 14, 10

bookshelves: fiction, sci-fi
Read in December, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I typically steer away from sci-fi but I really liked the Coldfire trilogy so I thought I'd give it a try. I don't regret it one bit. There are some very interesting technology and networking topics in this book. It must have been incredibly difficult for somebody who is not a "techie", although I suppose C.S. Friedman may very well be a techie.

I am used to putting a book down and longing for a second and third in the series. This book would be poorly served as a series. C.S. did a great job with a single book; captivating characters, not inundating the reader with detailed descriptions of a metal and glass environment.

Spoiler alert on all info. below this!

I am not sure how to describe my feelings about the ending. I just put it down and the ending for me is love/hate. I would have liked to have been in the main characters shoes one last time. Then again, leaving the reader with the last impression of her being controlled by the "dark one" allows much more creative interpretation...I don't know, I think I was growing attached to her and then all of a sudden she is in distress and then I never hear from her again. Perhaps the uncertainty is a little uncomfortable, then again, it is that uncomfortable feeling that lends a bit more depth to the ending. I also think such an ending implies that the story continues on beyond the book. In other words, the story is not ending just because the reader puts the book down. Tolkien was a master of this and I definitely appreciate this nuance in the ending. It seems a bit more real when the story doesn't depend upon the reader, or when the lives of the characters start and stop depending on the circumstances of the single book being read. That's starting to get a little esoteric so I'll stop rambling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Alien Shore.