Emily's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Aug 18, 10

bookshelves: my-favorites, books-to-read-2010
Read in September, 2008

Going into this book, I had heard that not many people liked it. So I was ready for the worst. Here's what I thought:
It was intense. You hated a certain character for most of the time. It made you angry. You held your breath a lot. But really, if a book makes you feel all these emotions, it has to be good, right?

Contrary to what most others think, I do think it ended well. The things I most wanted to happen, happened. One of the messages I think Emily Bronte was trying to get across was what can happen when passionate, soul-mate love is lost. And, since being on my classic kick it is the FIRST book I couldn't put down! It gets an extra star for that. I seriously wasn't bored the entire time! Loved it!

Even better the second time :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily Halfway though and enjoying it! I know it ends bad, so we will see what I think at the end :).

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Emily,
I read this book in high school and was probably not mature enough at that time to appreciate it. It has never been one of my favorites, that's for sure. But you make a good point. Hmm . . . perhaps I will have to read it again to reevaluate.

message 3: by Nursekate (new)

Nursekate Bailey I read it later, and though I enjoyed it, I felt very disappointed with the ending. Have you read "Jane Eyre" by Emily Bronte? I read that 4 or 5 times, and have loved it every time!

Emily Mom--I did read Jane Eyre. But I liked Wuthering Heights better! I remember talking with you about it. Funny thing--the ending in Jane Eyre didn't completely satisfy me! But Wuthering Heights did! We will have to talk more about it!

message 5: by Nursekate (new)

Nursekate Bailey I guess both books are sad in their own way, but as I remember in Jane Eyre, Jane finally finds happiness after years of being a victim. I don't exactly remember how Wuthering Heights ends. Doesn't it end in the death of....hmmm...I forget his name.....

Emily Yes, but that is a good thing. He finally dies and meets his lost soul mate that he has been living without his entire life. And with him gone, it leaves way for others to finally enjoy the happiness they have been waiting for as well.