Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Married By Morning

Married By Morning by Lisa Kleypas

Jan 15, 11

bookshelves: genre-historical-romance, books-i-own, author-lisa-kleypas, books-i-go-rabid-over, my-hottie-harem, favorites, read-in-2011
Recommended to Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Leah, Suzanne, Elena R
Recommended for: Everyone, especially historical romance fans
Read from January 01 to 03, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I don’t think there are adequate words to explain how I feel about this series. I absolutely love The Hathways and Leo, Lord Ramsay is one of my favourite characters from this series!!

With his devilishly wicked wit and infuriating persona, I can’t help but fall for him! Reading about his journey from a grieving and self-destructive mess to a man of honour and charm, it’s evident that Kleypas has put in a lot of hard work to make the hero of this book memorable! I adore Leo and all his efforts to convince Miss Catherine Marks to wed him.

Though I was sceptical of Miss Marks when she was first introduced to the series, I found myself becoming more and more drawn to her personality, especially in this book. She’s irritable and blunt, but paired with Leo’s taunts and jabs, they make for an interesting couple! Her disputes with Lord Ramsay are always entertaining and I’m glad that Kleypas kept that in this book. I would’ve hated to read this and find that two strong-willed characters lose their cunning wit and sharp-tongues only because they have fallen in love. Kleypas stays true to her characters and her work pays off because I couldn’t stop myself from devouring this novel until I flipped the last page.

One of the things that kept my eyes glued to the pages was the mystery behind Miss Marks. Her past was once dark and shameful, so it’s no wonder she kept to herself most of the time and wished to remain in the shadows. Believed to be born for the sole purpose of prostitution, her self-esteem was shot down at a very young age and only when she contacted her half-brother, Harry did she finally get the chance to live her life the way she wished to live.

I have to say how much I hate Guy, Lord Latimer! The fact that he purchased the then fifteen-year-old Marks to use disgusts me! And the fact that he continued to pursue her after all these years makes me even more pissed off! Marks’ grandmother and aunt also make me want to beat the everlivin’ crap out of them! JUST LEAVE HER ALONE!

All this drama, paired with the love story between Leo and Cat made this one of my favourites from the Hathaways series. I loved that Leo got a chance to redeem himself after his loss...

I got the sense that Leo truly overcame his grief with Laura. He let her spirit go in Mine Till midnight, but I really felt his burden lift in this book. The thing with having a past love is that sometimes readers think the new heroine is a replacement. But I didn’t think Cat was a replacement at all. She is an intelligent woman and they way she evaded Leo’s proposals made me think better of her. Her past experiences with men haunted her for a long time, but with Leo’s tender encouragements and patience, she learned to love him despite his past and faults.

I absolutely loved Married by Morning and only wished that there was more to this series than just that ones that have been released. This one will definitely be staying on my bookshelf for years to come...

Favourite Quotes:
Coming forward with a placating smile, Win handed him a piece of paper. "Of course we would never want to force you into a loveless marriage, dear. But we have put together a list of prospective brides, all of them lovely girls. Won't you take a glance and see if any of them appeals to you?"

Deciding to humor her, Leo looked down at the list. "Marietta Newbury?"

"Yes," Amelia said. "What's wrong with her?"

"I don't like her teeth."

"What about Isabella Charrington?"

"I don't like her mother."

"Lady Blossom Tremaine?"

"I don't like her name."

"Oh, for heaven's sake, Leo, that's not her fault."

"I don't care. I can't have a wife named Blossom. Every night I would feel as if I were calling in one of the cows." Leo lifted his gaze heavenward. "I might as well marry the first woman off the street. Why, I'd be better off with Marks."

Everyone was silent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Married By Morning.

01/01/2011 "Kleypas, TAKE ME AWAYYY!! I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT STARTING THIS BOOK!!!"
01/01/2011 page 62
19.0% "Wow, I love this already!!!"
01/02/2011 page 102
32.0% "I'm going to go hunting for all of Lisa Kleypas' work! Talk about becoming obsessed with someone's writing!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Great review! I'm glad you loved this one, too :)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thanks! It was so damn good! So sad its going to be over with Love in the Afternoon! :(

Leah Great review, babe. I'm glad you loved this one. I absolutely love that quote you put, LOL. One thing I love, too, is how, even after they are married, Leo keeps calling Cat "Marks" LMAO

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thanks Leah! That quote made me LOL. So funny.

Aww, yes! Her real name was awful. Wiggens or something LOL. Leo can call me whatever he wants!

Leah You're welcome. It makes me laugh every time, LOL

LMAO, yeah. I love when Poppy is like, "Well...I think Marks is better." LOL!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL! I know, I did too. Marks is a much better name!

Leah Totally agree! And I think it's cute that he calls her that, LOL

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Damn, you make me wanna read this book again!

I'm loving St. Vincent right now though!!

Catherine Great review! Your quote has made me want to reread this book. It was my favorite of the series and I absolutely loved Leo's joking comments about Marks that were about as subtle as a hammer upside the head. :)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thanks Catherine! Yeah, definitely one of my favourites too! Leo was amazing!

message 13: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Annie, have you read Love in the Afternoon yet?

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Not yet. I'm reading it in Feb for a LK challenge.

message 15: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Okey dokey! I wanted to read your review if you had already, LOL

Lisa Kay Fabulicious review, Annie! I was also skeptical of Miss Marks when she was first introduced too, LOL! Great quote/scene you posted. Leo is such a bad boy, discussing calling out to his wife at night; put a totally different spin on it and still made it acceptable to say in front of his sisters. **hee hee**

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thanks, Lisa Kay! This one is one of my faves! i can't get enough of Leo!

Ronyell Awesome review! Love Leo too!!!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thanks Ronyell!! He's the best!

Ronyell He really is!! He's got the best humor and personality I have ever seen in any romance novel!!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Oh for sure! Now you're making me want to reread this!

Lisa Kay Me too. My library has it on audio, but there is a wait list.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) OoOH I wonder if it is good? Are you on the list?

Lisa Kay I haven't clicked the "add to waiting list" yet. But I've been thinking about it. Kind of hard to work it into challenges when I don't know when I'm going to get it. Unless, it is a long challenge... hmmmm... I did love Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5) by Lisa Kleypas. The narrator id Bea sooooooo well. :)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I havent listened to any of the audiobooks! I should try it!

Ronyell I'm definitely thinking about re-reading this soon!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I cant decide which is my fave of the series.

message 29: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin WAs cat ya know...raped? cause like...O.O