Sunflower's Reviews > Under the Overpass: A Journey of Faith on the Streets of America

Under the Overpass by Mike Yankoski

Sep 24, 12

bookshelves: 2010-book-reviews, waterbrook-multnomah

Reading,"Under the Overpass: A Journey of Faith on the Streets of America", is one of those books that will haunt me in a good way.

The lyrics to "Give Me the Eyes to See" by Brandon Jacobs, played in the back of my mind as I read the experiences of Mike Yankoski and his friend and companion on his journey, Sam, through the streets of Denver, Washington, D.C., Portland, San Franciso, Phoenix and San Diego and wept at the triumphs, the heartaches and the gritty and captivating reality that they experienced on the streets and with the everyday people they met, both the homeless and those with homes.

This book will change your heart.

This book will change what you think you know of the homeless.

This book will challenge and will change what you think being a Christian means.

I couldn't read,"Under the Overpass: A Journey of Faith on the Streets of America", with skepticism but instead, with the thought, "What do I do"? as I walked or drive by the people we try to pretend isn't there but God sees over our averted eyes.

What, "Under the Overpass: A Journey of Faith on the Streets of America", does is challenges the reader to re-look at His world and ask ourselves, do we play it safe as Christians or are we truly there when our brothers and sisters need us the most.

Offering a downloadable discussion guide and an action plan of what we can do for our brothers and sisters who are without a home, "Under the Overpass: A Journey of Faith on the Streets of America", isn't for making us feel guilty and to act to help us feel better, but just to gently, with its realistic looks of what we tend to be very insulated from, what those who are on the streets live each day, beneath our office and home windows, but we, in our hurry with our busy lives, don't take the time to see.

This book reminded me so much of the story of the Good Samaritan and more than anything it is asking all of us a real hard question that we at some point of our lives must have asked ourselves, but put in the back of our minds when our cellphone rings or we hurry off to Facebook to post a status or engage in the latest argument online over trivial matters, "What would I do during my day or in my life for God if I wasn't concerned with what I wear, what I eat, where I sleep, what I own, what people think of me, or what discomforts I face?" and asks us to think that hard question.

Would we?

Just even reading the response that the author and his traveling companion received from other Christians who didn't know what they were doing or why they were on the streets, had me hanging my head down and wondering, "How does my walk reflect to others and what type of Christian am I".

This is a humbling book.

It makes no pretenses of being anything other and there is a wonderful foreword by Francis Chan in the beginning that has in it a warning to the reader, "`Don't read Mike's book if you're not willing to change your attitude and actions toward the homeless."

Francis Chan is right and I say the same to you. "Don't read this book if you're not willing or ready to have a open and teachable heart to read and be changed in our thoughts and heart and actions about what we thought we knew about the homeless".

You can't read this book and put it down after wards and think out of sight, out of mind. This stays with you in your heart, in your mind and in your prayers and having one dare to pray, "Lord humble me and change my heart and remove what veils there are before my eyes".

As 1 John 3:16-18 NKJV goes, "6 By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17 But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?
18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth."

"Under the Overpass: A Journey of Faith on the Streets of America" is a powerful book. As A.W. Tozer shared in "Of God and Men" and re-shared in, "Under the Overpass: A Journey of Faith on the Streets of America","We hear a Christan assure someone that he will "pray over" his problem, knowing full well that he intends to use prayer as a substitute for service. It is much easier to pray that a poor friend's needs maybe supplied than to supply them".

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Overpass.