Hina's Reviews > The Velvet Promise

The Velvet Promise by Jude Deveraux

I think the only reason I didn't give this book 4 or 4.5 star is because of the hero, Gavin. He is by far my most disliked hero, and I think I am being very nice by using dislike, because the words that come to mind are not fit to be written down. I read this book in one day, mostly because I thought just like other medieval romances, hero starts out bad, but we would end up liking/loving him. I was just waiting for the hero's redeeming quality to come out and it never happened! I feel like I am cheated out of something now in the hero department. I loved Gavin's brothers and seriously I was hoping the heroine would end up with Raine. He was sooo much better, actually a lot of other guys were better. One of the other things I did not like was the constant bombardment of problems that kept cropping up in the book, it was a bit overwhelming.
The upside of the story, I loved the heroine and her strong traits. The Montgomery brothers were fun and lovable and I can't wait to read their stories. I also like the author involving many different side stories like of Jocelin, the entertainer and of Judith's mother. Overall, I think this story is a hit or a miss depending on how much leeway you are willing to give a character, but I am pretty flexible with finding the positive side of a character could not find something to overlook Gavin's actions/thinking, etc.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Velvet Promise.