Cornerofmadness's Reviews > The Living Dead: A Study of the Vampire in Romantic Literature

The Living Dead by James B. Twitchell

Dec 14, 10

Read in December, 2010

This was the text book for the lit class. I have to say I was a little disappointed in it because for one it came out when I was in high school (i.e. a couple decades ago). Old doesn’t necessarily mean bad (well I’m a scientist so it sort of does) but talking to other humanities profs this is a rather outdated view of vampire literature. It’s all very Freudian and uber-man. For one, it tends to read a lot of texts as vampire literature that I would never have considered and frankly, after doing the readings I am unconvinced.

The text is broken down into ‘female vampire,’ ‘male vampire in poetry,’ ‘the vampire as an artist’ and ‘the vampire in prose.’ While I can see arguments for Wuthering Heights as being vampiric at least in the emotional sense, I see the Picture of Dorian Gray more as supernatural than vampiric, ditto the Fall of the House of Usher and Jane Eyre. It’s not a completely uninteresting book but it’s the usual dry literary critique. I’m not sure why anyone would seek it out unless they’re very interested in vampire literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Living Dead.