Kate Hyde's Reviews > Have a New Kid by Friday: How to Change Your Child's Attitude, Behavior & Character in 5 Days

Have a New Kid by Friday by Kevin Leman

Dec 17, 10

bookshelves: parenting
Read from December 12 to 15, 2010

This book offers great parenting advice. For such a long time I followed Attachment Parenting, but I've found that it has morphed into permissive parenting. I would bite my tongue until I couldn't stand it anymore, at which point I would blow up and yell at my daughter, and then feel completely guilty afterward. I needed a change, and this book was just the change I needed.

This kind of discipline is all about actions, not words. There's no need to yell, but your children do face consequences for what they do. Now, some of the author's suggestions go a bit too far I think - locking your child out of the house just seems cruel to me. Then again, if I'm choosing between that or a big yelling match (and it's fairly nice weather outside), I think letting your child blow off some steam in the backyard isn't such a bad idea.

I highly recommend this book. I didn't like everything the author had to say, but I definitely learned some great discipline methods.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Have a New Kid by Friday.

message 1: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Sounds interesting. I'm finding myself using yelling and intimidation in situations when Sigrid is defiant and I'm frustrated. There has to be a better way. I'll check this book out.