Peep (Pop! Pop!)'s Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Dec 14, 10

bookshelves: just-okay, read-in-2010, so-not-impressed, adult-cravings
Read in December, 2010

It's not that I didn't like the book, I did ok. I just wasn't too impressed. A word of caution, try not to read any of the other reviews on GR, they have major spoilers like you wouldn't believe.

Anywho, some of the reviewers complained about Jack's voice, I didn't mind it so much. I thought it was fine. Though I could see the confusion with him "speaking" so well and being so intelligent and on the other hand, he spoke differently. I'm not sure how he spoke that way when his mom was there and he had the tv. At the very least I expected him to speak like Dora or Spongebob, but not the way he did. Now that I think about it, I think the second half of the book would have been better if it had been from Ma's point of view.

But then, I haven't been stuck in a room with only my mom, a tv, and the occasional crazy visitor. Who knows how I might turn out.

I assume they had satellite tv? How else would you get cable shows when you have an antenna?

At times I felt like things were contrived, just as a way to tell us important bits of back story. I don't know, some of it seemed awfully coincidental don't you think?

I started out listening to this on audio and really loved it. But my audio was due back at the library, so I had to read the last 2/3s of the book. Maybe that's where it went wrong. I kinda felt like I was watching this whole thing play out but there was no point.

After the Room part, it is kind of boring. Nothing spectacular happens.

And really, nursing a five year old is NOT that big a deal, especially given the circumstances.

I wanted answers. I think after all that we deserved to know what happened with everything. I think if anyone needed an epilogue, they did.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * I heard people either loved or hated this one -- and I think you know where I normally end up when that is the reaction!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I liked it on audio. I am not sure if I would have liked the whole thing, even if I'd stuck with the audiobook. I don't think you're missing anything by skipping it.