Rachel's Reviews > Destined

Destined by Aprilynne Pike

Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: arc
Read from March 22 to 25, 2012, read count: 1

It has all come down to one final battle. A battle that will test everyone’s ability to remain strong against an enemy who is seemingly unstoppable.

One last chance to stand together to protect all of Avalon from the wrath of an enemy who knows no mercy. An enemy who will stop at nothing to win. And who will destroy everything and everyone who gets in their way.

As Laurel, Tamani, David and Chelsea prepare for the fight of their lives, they will discover an unlikely hero in their midst. Someone brave enough to take up arms and lead the charge. Someone who is willing to pay whatever price is required in order to defend Avalon against the onslaught of enemy forces. Someone who may not come through the battle unscathed.

Ill-prepared, up against the greatest threat Avalon ever faced and with the odds stacked against them, everyone will have to fight. Everyone will be in danger. And not everyone will survive.

***

Destined is the thrilling, action-packed, nail-biting and bittersweet conclusion to Aprilynne Pike’s Wings series. This gripping and tension-filled story will keep readers on edge as they follow Laurel on one final adventure through Avalon that will put her and her friends in more danger than they’ve ever been in before.

With a whirlwind pace, deadly threats at every turn, an intense battle whose outcome will determine Avalon’s fate and a choice that will break someone’s heart, this story will captivate, tease, torment, surprise and delight. And with each twist, the suspense will continue to build, all leading up to the stunning and dramatic series conclusion.

Not missing a beat, Destined picks up where Illusions left off and drops readers right into the heart of the action. As the enemy draws near, amassing forces that are hellbent on destroying Avalon, time is winding down for Laurel and Tamani to find a way to protect their home.

And when David and Chelsea insist on following their friends into Avalon and into battle, it is even more important than ever for Tamani and Laurel to keep the enemy at bay as it won’t just be Avalon and their own lives that hang in the balance, but their friends’ lives that will be at stake.

Aprilynne Pike has wrapped up this series in a way that is as exciting as it is heart-rending. Questions will be answered. Sides will be chosen. Lives will be lost. Hearts will be broken. And no one will walk away untouched.

The tension is palpable. The dangers are electrifying. And the quick pace and enchanting storyline are absolutely riveting. Making Destined an absolute must for readers who love stories of faeries, magical worlds, dangerous foes and deadly battles.

And for fans of the series, Destined will make them fall in love with the characters all over again and give them one last chance to say goodbye.

On a personal note:

My heart was in the pit of my stomach for this entire read. This was a series that I absolutely fell in love with as a reader. It was fun, it was charming, it was delightful. I never wanted it to end. And when I found out that this was to be the series ending book, I was heartbroken.

I loved the magic of Avalon. I loved Laurel and Tamani. I even loved the love triangle. Though it killed me. I wanted their story to keep going. I wanted to continue on the adventure. And now that it’s over, I just miss all of them.

Destined was a book I wasn’t expecting to have to read quite so soon. And while I thought there was plenty more story left for the characters, I think the author did a beautiful job of wrapping it up.

This series finale was gripping, nail-biting and totally tension-filled. And to say it was action-packed would almost be an understatement. The action started at the first page and it continued for the entire read. There wasn’t a dull moment. The author made every one of those moments exciting.

Which I was so unbelievably happy about. Because a lull would have given me the time to remember that this book was the final one and it would have made it that much harder to finish.

Not one single page was wasted. This is not one of those series books that goes along as if it’s not the finale and then wraps things up in the last twenty or so pages. The story builds to its conclusion, resolving things along the way, so everything didn’t feel crammed in at the end.

While I would have loved to see more of certain characters who either weren’t in this book or had only a small part to play, the characters I most wanted to see were there. And while there was something left up in the air about one minor character, it was not key to the story.

Do I wish there were more slow and intense moments between Laurel and Tamani? Sure. Of course I do. Loved those moments. Do I wish there was another book to say goodbye to them all? Absolutely. It’s always so tough to say goodbye to characters I love.

But would I change a thing about this book? No way. I think it was wonderful and sweet and heartbreakingly sad, and I loved it all. Including the moments that tore at my heart. Including the moments where tears blurred my vision so much so that I couldn’t read. And including that surprise extra bit at the end.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destined.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kristina I can't wait to read your review. I'm going to miss this series, I wish there was going to be more!

Hazal (The Book to my Heart) Yay to action-packedness! And yay to the love triangle!! Illusions wasn't my favorite book of the series and although the ending was such an amazing cliffhanger, it just didn't leave me feeling satisfied. I hope your review is spot-on and the final book will be the best out of all of them!

Rachel Hazal wrote: "Yay to action-packedness! And yay to the love triangle!! Illusions wasn't my favorite book of the series and although the ending was such an amazing cliffhanger, it just didn't leave me feeling sat..."

I hope it's spot on. It is a favorite, though I'm not sure I said it was the best of the series. But only because it was a series ending book and those are books I always have mixed feelings about - I hate saying goodbye.

And I really think whether you love, love it depends on whose "team" you are on and how you feel about the extra bit at the end. Which I loved, but not everyone may.

It was definitely action-packed. It was definitely bittersweet. I was totally hooked. I thought things ended perfectly, but I'm sure there will be readers who want a very different ending. But I hope it ends the way you'd like and that it leaves you feeling satisfied with how the series wraps up!

Charlene OMG great review but know I am so anxious I can't wait to read it. I absoultly love this series.

Rachel Charlene wrote: "OMG great review but know I am so anxious I can't wait to read it. I absoultly love this series."

Oh thank you so much! I rushed to read it because I thought it was out on April 3rd. But am so glad I did. I wish there were at least one more book in the series. I miss the characters and story so much. It's always so sad to say goodbye! I hope you get to read it ASAP!

message 1: by Ellen Sara (new)

Ellen Sara Sounds amazing! I can't wait to read it.