Catherine's Reviews > Archangel's Blade

Archangel's Blade by Nalini Singh
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
3282244
I’ve tried to figure out how to write my review honestly without giving spoilers, but I just can’t. My major dislike involved a plot point that I would consider to be a spoiler, so be wary and don’t read it unless you really want to know.

Dmitri, I’m happy to say, is still the same guy we first saw in Angels’ Blood. He’s wicked and naughty, and still has that disturbing vein of cruelty. He was, I have to admit, one of the members of the Seven that I was least interested in, but I really got to know him here and grew to love him. He’s dark and dangerous, but what really swayed me were his memories. That guy, the one his memories, was the one that really made me fall for him. If we wouldn’t have seen him as he was then, I’m not sure how much I would have cared for him in the present. As I said, he had a vein of hard anger and cruelty in him that had me shying away. Rafael could be cruel and cold to Elena and others, but he didn’t seem to relish it the way Dmitri did, and that seemed to make all the difference for me.

I tried not to compare their relationship to Elena and Rafael, I really did. And I succeeded for the most part. It was weird seeing them from the sidelines and only having a few scenes with them, but the author was smart not to let any of the other characters accidentally dominate Dmitri’s book. We got to see Jason and Illium and Venom, but the scenes with them seemed few and far between. What we did see of Illium continued to hint toward a worrying fixation on Elena, though. Just like in the last book, I’m not sure what I think of the continued mention of this subject. It’s making it into a bigger thing than I want it to be and I keep hoping it will be dropped.

Honor and Dmitri both have had to learn to cope with the horrific abuse they’re suffered. Dmitri is, of course, further along in the game than her, but he has had way more time to adjust. Honor is still jumpy and can’t control her occasional involuntary fight or flight reaction around him. Although Honor would seem to be the more wounded of the two, being that her experience was more recent, Dmitri really stole the show. His constant flashbacks exposed us to a pain and a yearning that has never healed in him. It has been so many years and he’s still not over his wife. He longs for the happiness and the love he felt when he was with her, and he just about broke my heart. That’s really what leads into why the relationship between Honor and Dmitri left me dissatisfied.

Dmitri was clearly not over his wife, and honestly, I don’t blame him. The flashbacks we were shown were incredibly compelling and it broke my heart to know that he didn’t have that anymore. Although he started to make a connection with Honor, there was so much time devoted to memories of his prior life and Honor’s similarities to his dead wife that I felt that the present relationship was shortchanged. I mean, we even had flashbacks during the scenes where Honor and Dmitri were getting frisky! I ended up being more interested in the past relationship than the present one and wished I could have read that romance, because they had something beautiful.

(view spoiler)

Other than that, I also felt that the story was a little slow and that the plot wasn’t really important. It almost seemed like it existed only to give Honor and Dmitri an excuse to be around each other and to give Dmitri a compelling reason to reveal pieces of his past.

Although I wasn’t thrilled with this book, I still enjoyed it. The Guild Hunter world is an awesome place to be and I enjoyed getting to see more of Ashwini and getting to see the storyline for Holly (Uram’s victim) developed further.

Favorite Quote:
"Like to push, don't you?"

"If I don't," he purred, leaning down to kiss her while he plumped and shaped her breast with a proprietary hand, "how will I ever get you to a point where you'll let me tie you up and use a whip on you?"

Review originally posted on Fiction Vixen.
39 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Archangel's Blade.
sign in »

Reading Progress

08/12/2011 page 81
24.0% "I find it amusing that so far all the heroines in this series are intrigued by Illium and all the heroes get tweaked out about it. lol." 26 comments
08/13/2011 page 99
29.0% "

Fury spotted red high across her cheekbones. "Fuck you, Dmitri."

"Right now?" He gave her a deliberately taunting smile. "Come over here, then, darling."

" 3 comments
08/13/2011 page 200
60.0% "

"Like to push, don't you?"

"If I don't," he purred, leaning down to kiss her while he plumped and shaped her breast with a proprietary hand, "how will I ever get you to a point where you'll let me tie you up and use a whip on you?"

" 10 comments

Comments (showing 1-50 of 62) (62 new)


message 1: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren You read this right now? Whoaaa, I'm jealous!! :(


Catherine I got an ARC copy for Fiction Vixen. Squee!


message 4: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Aug 13, 2011 01:42AM) (new) - added it

 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Catherine wrote: "I got an ARC copy for Fiction Vixen. Squee!"

Oh, you lucky ducky, you, Catherine! Enjoy! ^_^


message 5: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Catherine wrote: "I got an ARC copy for Fiction Vixen. Squee!"

*pout*
Yes, go read it, I will biting my nails while wait for my copy...


Catherine Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I got an ARC copy for Fiction Vixen. Squee!"

Oh, you lucky ducky, you, Catherine! Enjoy! ^_^"


Thanks, Jayne.


Catherine Ren wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I got an ARC copy for Fiction Vixen. Squee!"

*pout*
Yes, go read it, I will biting my nails while wait for my copy..."


lol.


Erika  Badass I hate that. Sorry you were disappointed


Catherine Erika wrote: "I hate that. Sorry you were disappointed"

I'm a little bummed. :( Oh well, I guess I'll hope for better with the next Guild Hunter book.


message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Oh bummer. I was wondering about the Elena and Raphael on the side thing too. I am not very fond of the Frost's Night Huntress world just because I like Cat and Bones to be the main focus. Sounds like this will be the same.


message 11: by Catherine (last edited Aug 20, 2011 10:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine Jen wrote: "Oh bummer. I was wondering about the Elena and Raphael on the side thing too. I am not very fond of the Frost's Night Huntress world just because I like Cat and Bones to be the main focus. Sound..."

The reason I gave it a 4 was because of a specific trope in the relationship that I didn't like, not because of the lack of Elena and Raphael. Although I have to admit that it was a little bit of a weird adjustment. Dmitri was one of the Seven I cared about the least, so that could have been a factor too.


Lynsey A Catherine, would you mind sending me a PM with the trope? I want to make sure it isn't something I completely hate. Thanks!


Catherine Lynsey A wrote: "Catherine, would you mind sending me a PM with the trope? I want to make sure it isn't something I completely hate. Thanks!"

Done. :)


Lynsey A Thanks again! :)


Catherine Lynsey A wrote: "Thanks again! :)"

No problem. :) I'm glad to hear you'll enjoy the trope.


Lynsey A LOL - Yep! I will!


message 17: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Honestly I feel the same with Jen. Funny, already give Archangel's Blade max 4 stars, in my mind, just because Dmitri is my least favorite Seven and I'm a little bit disappointed with lack of Raphael-Elena scene. But I must not do that. Chance I will love this book & give it 5, lol!

I'm curious about the trope, but I'll resist myself to not ask it, Catherine ;)


message 18: by Catherine (last edited Aug 20, 2011 10:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine Ren wrote: "Honestly I feel the same with Jen. Funny, already give Archangel's Blade max 4 stars, in my mind, just because Dmitri is my least favorite Seven and I'm a little bit disappointed with lack of Rapha..."

Hopefully when you get it you'll be able to enjoy it despite the lack of focus on Elena and Raphael. It was hard not to feel the lack in some areas, but I tried really hard not to let it bother me.


Fabiane Abreu Just read your review, and I agree completely. I also was a little bummed by that development...


Catherine I wish it had developed differently. I'm hoping I enjoy the relationship more in the next book.


message 21: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen So I am about halfway through it and I kind of had an idea where Singh was going. I read your review on FV and see that I am right. I am pretty dissapointed. I agree with you 100%.

I still love the way she writes but I really wanted more for Dimitri. I think.


message 22: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Oh but I am very interested in (view spoiler)


Fabiane Abreu Oh yeah, I'm very interested in that, too. Something for a novella later on, perhaps?


message 24: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Catherine, I read your review at FictionVixen and really, the spoiler part is verra, verra tempting ;).. And I read Jen spoiler too, make me want to go... arghhhh, I really need to read this book ASAP!! But bookdepository just send my copy at Sept, 1st.. and I must wait 2-3 weeks to read it *sigh*


Catherine Jen wrote: "So I am about halfway through it and I kind of had an idea where Singh was going. I read your review on FV and see that I am right. I am pretty dissapointed. I agree with you 100%.

I still lo..."


I saw where it was going too, but I kept hoping it was a red herring. :(


Catherine Jen wrote: "Oh but I am very interested in [spoilers removed]"

Me too. Although I wonder if we're reading false clues and that the author will (view spoiler)


Catherine Ren wrote: "Catherine, I read your review at FictionVixen and really, the spoiler part is verra, verra tempting ;).. And I read Jen spoiler too, make me want to go... arghhhh, I really need to read this book A..."

lol. You and those spoilers. :) Wow, that's slow shipping. I hope you enjoy it when you finally get your hands on it.


Fabiane Abreu Catherine wrote: "Jen wrote: "Oh but I am very interested in [spoilers removed]"

Me too. Although I wonder if we're reading false clues and that the author will [spoilers removed]"


I believe it will not happen. (view spoiler)

Two other things that interested me were (view spoiler)


Catherine Fabiane wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Jen wrote: "Oh but I am very interested in [spoilers removed]"

Me too. Although I wonder if we're reading false clues and that the author will [spoilers removed]"

I believe it ..."


Hmmm. I didn't even think of that. That's a very strong possibility. I wonder if there would be tension on (view spoiler)

Why do you say that (view spoiler)


Christina Ι also saw some chemistry there.I certainly enjoyed the banter,lol.
Though Singh does tend to push her traumatised heroines like that, so hooking up with an angel seems likely too...


Fabiane Abreu Catherine wrote: "Fabiane wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Jen wrote: "Oh but I am very interested in [spoilers removed]"

Me too. Although I wonder if we're reading false clues and that the author will [spoilers removed]..."


Oh no, I'm just referring to the fact that they looked like that kind of couple who is attracted to each other, but only know hot to express it through fights. Like kids... Singh even compares him to a 8yo boy! lol

As for the other part: if that really happens, what you wrote is almost certain. At least I woulnd't be comfortable, if that happenet to me... (view spoiler)


message 32: by Jen (last edited Sep 07, 2011 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (view spoiler)

Oh and (view spoiler)


message 33: by Christina (last edited Sep 07, 2011 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christina Ι have to admit I dislike Beth. She seemed petulant and spoiled so far. Also, she can't be Made. (view spoiler) LOL


Catherine Jen wrote: "[spoilers removed]

Oh and [spoilers removed]"


No, that doesn't appeal to me.


message 35: by Catherine (last edited Sep 07, 2011 09:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine Christina wrote: "Ι have to admit I dislike Beth. She seemed petulant and spoiled so far. Also, she can't be Made. [spoilers removed] LOL"

Yes, I don't really like her and have no real interest in reading about her. (view spoiler)


Catherine Fabiane wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Fabiane wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Jen wrote: "Oh but I am very interested in [spoilers removed]"

Me too. Although I wonder if we're reading false clues and that the author will ..."


Ah, I see what you mean. I agree about the fighting.


message 37: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Ok, thank goodness. I thought you guys were on board with that. I don't care if she is Elena's sister or not. She has never been anything but a whiny, selfish brat.


Ally72 Catherine...This is totally changing the subject, but do you (or anyone else) know if Illium will get his own book?


Catherine Jen wrote: "Ok, thank goodness. I thought you guys were on board with that. I don't care if she is Elena's sister or not. She has never been anything but a whiny, selfish brat."

I just realized I might have confused you with an earlier message. When I said "that's a very strong possibility" in message 29 I was referring to there being (view spoiler) I just shoved two thoughts together and made it seem muddled. Whoops.


Catherine Ally wrote: "Catherine...This is totally changing the subject, but do you (or anyone else) know if Illium will get his own book?"

I don't know for sure, but I would have to assume so. If the author was only going to write about Dmitri and not Ilium I would be ticked. Ilium's where most of the fans' interest is at.


message 41: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Catherine wrote:" lol. You and those spoilers. :) Wow, that's slow shipping. I hope you enjoy it when you finally get your hands on i "

After all spoilers is the ultimate temptation ;).. And so many spoilers here, lol. I live at Indonesia, and it take 2-3 weeks to deliver the book :).

BTW, I just asked about book #5 to Nalini at her FB page, she said she still concentrate to write Tangle of Need and she just finish Angel's Dance (Jessamy & Galen's novella), so she not think about it yet.

And do you join her newsletter? She give an exclusive excerpt of Angel's Dance. I don't know this fact already mention at Blade or not , but (view spoiler)


message 42: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Catherine wrote: "I just realized I might have confused you with an earlier message. When I said "that's a very strong possibility" in message 29 I was referring to there being (view spoiler)[more Ashwini and Janvier, not that Beth might actually hook up with Ilium. (hide spoiler)] I just shoved two thoughts together and made it seem muddled. Whoops.

"


Ah, ok. I didn't think that anyone really cared for Beth but I just wanted to make sure.

Ally- I agree with Catherine. I find it hard to believe that she would write a full length book about Dimitri but leave out Ilium, Jason, Venom...and so on. We all want those stories too!


Ally72 I was kind of skipping over some of the comments everyone was writing, but I see you had mentioned a potential partner for Illium...I am not excited about that pairing if it happens, but NS is so good she can make me love anything.

Jen and Catherine...This is totally off topic, but have you gotten A Night to Surrender by Tessa Dare yet? I know the two of you like her writing and I am reading it now AND loving it. This might be my favorite book of hers...I haven't read a lot so I can't say for sure.


message 44: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I haven't read that book yet. It is in the monstrous pile that I bought recently. I don't think there has ever been a more solid two weeks of releases than what the last two have been. At least that I can remember.


Shera (Book Whispers) Jen wrote: "I haven't read that book yet. It is in the monstrous pile that I bought recently. I don't think there has ever been a more solid two weeks of releases than what the last two have been. At least ..."

Ahmen!! If I wasn't behind before (my TBR pile drowning me), I am now!!

In my mind my TBR pile is this big gaint troll beating my head with a club.


message 46: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "In my mind my TBR pile is this big gaint troll beating my head with a club...."

But this is a good type of beating!! I just look at my books and giggle when I go to start the next one. I have so many good ones I can't go wrong right now.


Shera (Book Whispers) Yeah, it's nice knowing you'll never run out of reads.


Fabiane Abreu Jen wrote: "[spoilers removed]

Oh and [spoilers removed]"


I actually have nothing against Beth, except for the fact that she chose a terrible husband. She's still the only person in Elena's family that helped her.

I believe that her actions until now were because of her wanting to join her vampire husband... Maybe now (view spoiler) she will start acting differently?


Catherine Ren wrote: "I don't know this fact already mention at Blade or not , but (view spoiler)"

I don't think anything like that was mentioned in Archangel's Blade. Interesting, though.


Catherine Ally wrote: "I was kind of skipping over some of the comments everyone was writing, but I see you had mentioned a potential partner for Illium...I am not excited about that pairing if it happens, but NS is so g..."

I have it but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. It's in my queue for this month, though. There have been so many good releases this month.


« previous 1
back to top