Trice's Reviews > Finding God at Harvard: Spiritual Journeys of Thinking Christians

Finding God at Harvard by Kelly Monroe Kullberg

Jan 18, 11

bookshelves: 2010, 2011, theology-faith, social-commentary, culture-studies, list-xianprof-emrgschlrs
Read from December 14, 2010 to January 15, 2011

1/18/2011 this is on my mental lists of books to return to - the level of writing and thought is a mix, but this helped to bring together the deeper thought-life and the daily life to which it should be applied. Contrast Charles Malik's essay, "The Wonder of Being," which addresses the person of being and the person of non-being inside each one of us, with Mother Theresa's "A Hunger for God," about seeking to love each person in front of us, and we see a great example of this. Definitely worth the read.

12/14/2010 page 205
Some people have described this as simply a collection of stories, and, while I would mostly agree with that conclusion, there is a deeper aspect, in my view, of the stories being told. They speak to particular issues of faith and/or doctrine that these particular intellectuals, all associated in some way with Harvard University, were dealing with central to their faith journeys. What was the big thing, the big hurdle, they had to get over to come to or become solidly grounded in their faith? Or what was the central issue with which they identified their intellectual journey and the questions or problems that others around them were struggling with? What is their own approach to their faith and its surrounding intellectual discussions?

So, while not a direct discussion of 'how intellectuals come to faith,' this book has so far been helpful, inspiring, challenging, and encouraging in the faith.

It's interesting, too, that these essays are speaking to other books I'm reading. I'm in the middle of Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses in which, amongst many intertwinings and meanderings of plot/character/universal issue, they are facing issues of cultural and individual identity, and, though indirectly, Lamin Sanneh's essay, which deals toward the end with cultural pluralism, cultural purity and cultural identity, fed into my own mental wanderings on this novel.

John Rankin's essay on Power & Gender grabbed my attention because of its central topic (wow - I needed that!) and because of his description of how he approaches his own faith, the big questions and dialoguing with others.

The book is a real mix of style and voice and issue, however I am not finding this to be a difficulty, but rather an added interest.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding God at Harvard.

12/14/2010 page 205
56.0% ""In Christ is the 'yes' + 'amen,' + if we want to dispel the darkness in this culture, it will not be by character assassinations, polarized partisanships, or idolatries of certain political positions. It will be by the love of Christ positively preachd, w/our partisanships always openly stated + always accountable to being humbly cross-examined, by friend + foe alike, in the sight of God, in whom all truth resides.""