Kayla's Reviews > Interpreter of Maladies

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interpreter of Maladies.

Quotes Kayla Liked

Jhumpa Lahiri
“Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.”
Jhumpa Lahiri, Interpreter of Maladies

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Asraa (last edited Jan 06, 2011 06:20PM) (new)

Asraa you liked this? oh man. most of the stories i just did not GET, i dunno why lol. but there were a few that were very beautifully written and touching etc. maybe i was didn't jibe with it cuz she mostly portrays indian-americans much differently than how ive experienced the community. *shrugs*

Kayla Haha, I will fully admit, Jhumpa Lahiri is seriously one of my all time favorites. I love her stuff! Though I guess I don't have nearly nearly as much experience with Indian-americans so, I guess I didn't have that to refer to or anything. But her style reminds me of like a female, more suburban, slightly optimistic Raymond Carver, who I adore. I just really like writers that can take the little things of every day life and make them big things, and she's insanely great as a short story writer

message 3: by Asraa (last edited Jan 06, 2011 06:50PM) (new)

Asraa yea she is a consummate short-story writer and i do love her style. she makes the mundane details of life pretty sublime.

message 4: by Asraa (new)

Asraa and ps im also a complete prude when it comes it most things and i read it way back in high school so maybe thats why i was turned off