Aaron's Reviews > Behind the Cloud: The Untold Story of How Salesforce.com Went from Idea to Billion-Dollar Company-And Revolutionized an Industry

Behind the Cloud by Marc Benioff

Dec 20, 10

bookshelves: business, biography
Read from December 13 to 20, 2010

In a former position, I was the main admin for our company's Customer Relationship Management system. We happened to use salesforce.com, and, while at an event for them, they gave each attendee a free copy of this book.

For the most part, this is a big pat on the back for the author, Marc Benioff. Obviously, they're a billion-dollar company in just 10 years or so, so there haven't been too many lows to touch on. And, those that are mentioned are "brilliantly" dealt with by Benioff and his hand-picked team. It's hard to nitpick too much since he and the company has been so successful, yet, it would have been nice if Benioff dug a little deeper into the challenges he faced and analyzed exactly how we was able to overcome them...or what mistakes he may have made along the way and how he learned from them.

The "plays" that form the structure of the book are for the most part generalizations that don't reveal anything new. Perhaps Benioff helped make some of these as ubiquitous as they are today, but there are plenty of articles, blog posts, and book out there on how to "differentiate yourself," "listening to your customers," and "protecting your brand."

Not a bad book, but pretty basic overall.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Cloud.