Michelle's Reviews > Mansfield Park

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

Jan 26, 12

Read from January 19 to 26, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Not one of my favorites of Austen's novels. I had a hard time staying interested in the somewhat pointless dialogue within the story. I also found it difficult to relate to the heroine - Fanny. She is what most in our day would ridicule - a woman with "delicate sensibilities" and there seemed to me very little, if any, character development at all.

I did, however, find within the novel a cautionary tale for all parents against over-indulgence of one's children as displayed by the result of the actions of Maria (and Henry). Particularly noteworthy is a quote at the end in which Sir Thomas agonizes his parenting mistake in that: "...They (his children) had been instructed theoretically in their religion, but never required to bring it into daily practice. To be distinguished for elegance and accomplishments-the authorized object of their youth-could have had not useful influence that way, no moral effect on the mind..."

Mr Crawford was undoubtedly a wolf in sheep's clothing and proved himself truly deficient morally. His sister could almost not believe that her own brother was that lacking in character and her true values came to light at the end of the novel as well. As a reader I could actually relate more to her than to Fanny - that of knowing people so unaware of certain loved ones' true character (or unwilling to see them for what they truly are).

Mrs Norris as a "cheapskate" and openly hostile to Fanny and Miss Crawford as Fanny's BFF or, actually, best "frenemy" was the only interesting aspect of this story. I did have to roll my eyes, though, as Fanny comes off completely innocent even though she was never truly honest with Miss Crawford or her relationship to her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mansfield Park.

01/20/2012 page 120
24.0% "I'm finding a whole lotta useless dialogue in this one!"
show 2 hidden updates…