Ezmirelda's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Dec 20, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, kinda-boring, dystopian, romance
Read from December 13 to 15, 2010

This whole entire book is just a copy of The Giver. Every single aspect of the world-bulding reminded me of The Giver. So for Originality I'd give it 1 star. The writing was pretty good, the characters were okay. I'm not entirely sure how I felt about this book....It had a lot of potential but it just fell flat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Natalie Star I've never read The Giver so I can't comment on that. I did enjoy this story though, and I gave it four stars, But it's more of a 3 1/2.

I too, feel it fell flat, but I can't put my finger on why.

Book 2 was a 3 star read for me, it was much of the same feeling for me.

Despite the low ratings I will be reading the third book.

message 2: by Ezmirelda (last edited Jun 27, 2012 10:21PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ezmirelda Natalie wrote: "I've never read The Giver so I can't comment on that. I did enjoy this story though, and I gave it four stars, But it's more of a 3 1/2.

I too, feel it fell flat, but I can't put my finger on why..."

Glad you enjoyed it! I remember being really pumped about this one before I read it. :) I was entranced by the plot summary and had not read a dystopian that dissapointed me yet.

The Giver was required reading for everyone in my middle school so we basically discussed the book all the time. Then later, referenced things from it all throughout high school. The structure of the society and how everything runs in Matched is a carbon copy of the structure from the Giver. Right down to the pills they give out to surpress teenage hormons.

I honestly can't quite put my finger on it either. I'll have to ceck out the second book to see if it gets any better. :)