Jude's Reviews > Twenty Boy Summer

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

Jun 01, 11

bookshelves: favorites, in-my-shelf

It shattered my heart to pieces, It gave me the deepest wounds, It made me stronger than ever, And it put me back together. Those are the words I have to say about this book.

At first, when I bought the book, I really didn’t know what I was getting into, I mean, 20 boys? One each day? I thought it would be a simple comedy and a fun read for the summer. How wrong I was.

Twenty Boy Summer follows Anna through her summer, where she grieves the dead of the brother of her best friend and boyfriend Matt, the only problem, no one knew they were together. So Frankie’s family – and Matts- decide to take a trip to California, where they used to go every summer when Matt was alive, and Anna goes with them, carrying her grieve around, for no one but herself to share; She also carries around her journal, where she talks to Matt and pours everything of her. And then there’s Sam, one of the guys they meet during their 20-boy-summer lookout, Handsome, Intelligent, Understanding, and he grows to love Anna, But Anna is so scared to love him back, for the fear of forgetting Matt. I just found it Heartbreaking, and reminded me a lot of Jandy Nelson’s “The Sky Is Everywhere” in many ways.

The only thing I didn’t liked much about the novel was Frankie, her best friend, who acted nothing like. Though its easy to understand, but she still seems to selfish, shallow and ignorant to me. But you do get why she is necessary in the story, aside from the fact that she adds a little spark and humor to it.

Anna was simply a character that leaved a mark on me, and a total opposite to Frankie.

This is Sarah Ockler’s first novel, and reminded me of Sarah Dessen’s novels, which is a great compliment. Twenty Boy Summer is a story in which I loved to live, and leaved a mark in my heart. Gorgeous, beautifully written, and full of Love. I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twenty Boy Summer.

Quotes Jude Liked

Sarah Ockler
“Don't move, Anna Reiley. Right now, everything is perfect.”
Sarah Ockler, Twenty Boy Summer

Sarah Ockler
“I just swallow hard.
Nod and smile.
One foot in front of the other.
I'm fine, thanks for not asking.”
Sarah Ockler, Twenty Boy Summer

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dija I'm so glad you loved it! I always felt this book didn't get anywhere near the love it deserves, so I felt ecstatic reading your review. I wish there was a sequel. :(

Jude Lazuline wrote: "I'm so glad you loved it!...:("

I Know right! I would love to see more of this sotires, And I'm really glad you enjoyed my review :). I actually make reviews for the Blog of a friend of mine, maybe you'f like to check it out :)

The Secret Life of an Avid Reader

Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal) I loved this book and I always feel like the title puts people off of it! It's like "The Summer I Turned Pretty" - deceptively fluffy titles for books that really pack a punch! :)

message 4: by Adriana (new) - added it

Adriana Your review really makes me want to go and read it cant wait....

message 5: by Thalia (new) - added it

Thalia Adding to my list because of you! I usually find everything that rips your heart into little pieces usually does the same for me. (:

Jennifer Sounds so sad! I hate reading books where someones boyfriend dies :-(

Jude Jennifer wrote: "Sounds so sad! I hate reading books where someones boyfriend dies :-("

This one was sad, especially after reading the summary! It sounds like a really light story! it was not u.u
It really broke my heart, it was a great book, but sad :(

... you should read it sometime, haha ^^