Richard's Reviews > Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil

Eichmann in Jerusalem by Hannah Arendt

Nov 22, 14

bookshelves: really-deep-thinking, classic, cognition, nonfiction, philosophy, social-political, ideology-and-evil, own, awaiting-big-review, top-ten, sociology-classic
Read from January 21, 2011 to January 29, 2013 — I own a copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eichmann in Jerusalem.

Quotes Richard Liked

Hannah Arendt
“Evil in the Third Reich had lost the quality by which most people recognize it—the quality of temptation.”
Hannah Arendt, Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil

01/28/2013 page 112
37.0% "Starting again: I've got to get going on my research into evil. Starts out kinda slow, but eventually I got caught up in it."
01/29/2013 page 147
49.0% "Looks like there are at least two stories. I want to focus on evil — i.e., how we mythologize it, etc. — but that bleeds into the nature of acquiescence and complicity, which got Arendt into so much turmoil (much of which seems patently unfair). I don't want anything to do with the tar baby of the holocaust, but that's what this is about, isn't it? Hmm."
01/31/2013 page 291
97.0% "I'm completely in love with Arendt's brain right now (despite it being dead for almost 40 years). In the postscript, written after the turmoil her book stirred up (which must have been heartbreaking/infuriating), she eventually tries to address the implications of the unprecedented nature of the crime committed, and descends into her own turmoil — there are few intellectual precedents, and none of them clear."
02/02/2013 page 299
100.0% "Done, with quite a few pages of scribbled notes and far too many post-it page markers. But I wanna read "The Eichmann Trial" (Lipstadt) and ponder before drawing final conclusions. BTW, if anyone reading this is knowledgable about Hegel, esp. his concept of Sittlichkeit, can I bend your ear?"