Sue's Reviews > So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore: An Unexpected Journey

So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore by Wayne Jacobsen

Jan 25, 2008

bookshelves: christian, fiction, read-2006, read-2011
Read from September 25 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy

This is an incredibly powerful book - and is available free as an e-book as well as being buyable in printed form. It gently looks at why so many Christians are discouraged, or fed up with structured church life, but without in any way criticising the Church as such.

Jake, the main character, relates a series of conversations with an unusual person called John who appears in his life now and again. As he comes to terms with what John is saying, he experiences many struggles in his life until he begins to find a deeper and more meaningful relationship with God.

Not everybody will relate to Jake, and not everybody will reject all forms of structured church... but I still highly recommend this to anyone as probably the most thought-provoking short novel I have ever read.

I enjoyed just as much on re-reading five years later, finding the theology (such as it is) even more helpful and encouraging. There isn't much of a story from the 'novel' point of view, but the life changes that happen - and which can happen to anyone, whether or not they have had enough of structured church - are incredible.

Definitely recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore.