LJ's Reviews > Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn

Dec 13, 10

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in December, 2010

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares is an entertaining read for those who have a familiarity with New York City, and J. D. Salinger. I have a some familiarity with both, so I was looking forward to reading this book. However, it didn't really grab me until the end, because I did not enjoy how over-the-top Lily's characterization was. (She does mature towards the end). Dash is a bit hard-to-take too because he is so pompous, but in a very realistically adolescent fashion. He is vulnerable, but does not wish to appear so. The premise is that Lily places a book of clues in a famous local bookstore, in order to find a boyfriend, or just a friend. She is hoping to find a kindred soul of some kind. Dash, a frequenter of said bookstore, picks up the book and follows the clues. It becomes a game where Dash and Lily trade the book back and fourth, adding challenges for each to accomplish at different locations around the city. It really is a charming concept, but I wish Lily's character had been more appealing at the onset. At one point, Lily relates a painful childhood memory whereby she earned the nickname, "Shrilly." and Shrilly is alive and well in Lily as a teenager. She has an unfortunate tendancy to reach these high-pitches when she finds her family not conforming to her concept of a perfect christmas with all the trimmings. Meanwhile, Dash's concept of a perfect christmas is to spend it completely alone, but not lonely. Can these two find true love? (or even "true-like?") It seems very unlikely until Lily undergoes some growing pains--which she does. Overall, a good read, but parts were painful.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares.