Lauren's Reviews > Scent of the Missing: Love and Partnership with a Search-and-Rescue Dog

Scent of the Missing by Susannah Charleson

Jan 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from December 26, 2010 to January 02, 2011

I picked this book up for two reasons:
1.) It had a golden retriever on the cover
2.) I thought Molly, my golden puppy, might enjoy the training and had lofty ideas about how we would go running through the woods searching for lost hikers--how rewarding it would be for both of us!

Well. Upon completion of Scent of the Missing I have realized that neither Molly or myself are in any way qualified to be part of a search and rescue team! They do amazing work but it is not for us. I think we will stick with agility (and perhaps another round of obedience...that we both need).

Charleson does a great job introducing the reader to SAR (search and rescue) and the amount of time, sweat, laughter, and tears that goes into the work. I appreciated that she didn't spend a lot of time on any singular case, instead she focused more on her relationship with Puzzle, the feisty golden at the heart of the story. There were many times throughout the book that I laughed out loud at Puzzle's antics, particularly her fierce independence (of which Molly has in equal measure). A light, quick read but quite enjoyable!

I recommend this book to anyone who loves dogs, particularly those of the golden variety.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scent of the Missing.