Annika's Reviews > Playing Hurt

Playing Hurt by Holly Schindler

Mar 19, 11

bookshelves: given-away
Recommended for: people who like/approve of/don't mind cheating
Read from March 16 to 19, 2011

Playing Hurt romanticises cheating, lying and manipulating. The only person the main character thinks of is herself. Chelsea is selfish and when her cheating is not a secret anymore, she only feels sorry for herself and that it got out. Not once did she have any regret about what she was doing. It pissed me off beyond belief.
She deserved everything Gabe accused her of, it was only the truth.

Oh and then she's obsessing over virginity, like being a virgin is something completely awful that tarnishes someone's reputation.

I don't even get what the point of Chelsea having a boyfriend does. It was completely unnecessary and seemed shoved in to cause drama. All it did was to make me hate Chelsea. When the cheating started I lost every drop of sympathy I had for her.

I just can't with this book. I wish I hadn't spent money on it. The writing is not bad but it often drifts into the melodramatic and the editing was really bad in some places, where there were too many words or too few words. And the whole "slang" and Southern voice felt completely silly and fake.

If you think this book is about people overcoming an accident that crushed their very souls and ended the lives they had until that point - it's not. It touches on it in only the shallowest way.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing Hurt.

03/16/2011 page 70
03/18/2011 page 156
50.0% "I have no sympathy left for Chelsea. She's pissing me off actually."
03/18/2011 page 156
50.0% "I have no sympathy left for Chelsea. She's pissing me off actually."
show 2 hidden updates…