Erin Reilly-Sanders's Reviews > Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal by Paul Fleischman

Dec 13, 10

bookshelves: fairytale, picturebook, fiction
Read in November, 2010

I really enjoyed this mishmash of Cinderella type tales from around the world although it's definitely for older readers. Younger kids who aren't familiar with any of the more traditional versions of the story won't be able to follow it well, or understand that the author is incorporating different elements from different places. I really like the sort of faux-folk style illustrations, although I think that the amount of pattern can be overwhelming, even if the contrast on the colours is minimal. The consistent use of one colour for each country is good, except that several of the greens look very similar to each other. While the format seems a little chaotic with all that's going on on each page, it does have enough consistency for everything to be clearly readable. The book does do a good job of keeping the text amount to a minimum while including a wide variety of elements. This may present some awkwardness when reading aloud if th text does not flow well. Overall, a fun book that takes fairytales to the next level.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal.