Chuck's Reviews > Into the Looking Glass

Dec 13, 2010

liked it
Read in December, 2010

87 out of 100 for 2010

My first John Ringo novel; I'm trying to make my mind up about it. Although marketed as 'military SF,' the main character is a physicist/government contractor who's a poster child for jingoistic conservatism. However, the novel is funny as hell in many spots (rednecks hold off a horde of alien invaders when the Army can't), and I wound up, for the most part, caught up in the story line. Someone likened this novel to Tom Clancy because of the action, and, to some extent I see the comparison (Clancy is an author I like whose politics I disagree with), but Ringo isn't close to the same league Clancy is in when it comes to writing action. I'll read another novel or two of his to see; as I said, it's not the politics I resist, and the humor made me want to read more, but there were some times when the story bogged.

This novel is the classic 'bug shoot,' as opposed to military SF, a genre I take seriously. Maybe I was expecting too much.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Looking Glass.