Seth's Reviews > From Fear to Facebook: One School's Journey

From Fear to Facebook by Matt Levinson

Dec 13, 2010

liked it
Read in December, 2010

This is an interesting book. The first chapter reads like a horror-story of misguided good intentions, combined with really poor support for students in desperate need for structure and guidance. (Recall: no one has full executive function until their mid-20s, so don't make curricular/pedagogic decisions assuming that 7th graders can take care of themselves.)

Some of Matt Levinson's theories about the possibilities of technology in education are, quite frankly, pie in the sky -- akin to what Will Richardson wrote about in Blogs Wikis and Podcasts. The idea of "learning in public" is incredibly powerful, but that is not the same as blogging and then miraculously getting critical feedback from world-expert academics.

I found that I was reading this more as an affirming narrative ("well, naturally, I would remember to include that constituency."), but Matt Levinson really does raise a lot of good questions to think through. I just don't always approve of his answers. But the questions really are good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Fear to Facebook.