Lady Jane's Reviews > You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness

You Had Me at Woof by Julie Klam

Sep 05, 14

bookshelves: dogs, memoirs, nonfiction
I own a copy

A delightful, light, humorous memoir of a woman who catapults from being a single dog owner to being a wife, mother and rescue volunteer in Manhattan. Each chapter is centered on an anecdote from Ms. Klam's sometimes uplifting and sometimes heartbreaking dog experiences, then concludes with the life lesson she learned. She credits the dogs she has known for helping her to confront selfishness and open her heart to others, preparing her for marriage and motherhood. She not the first person to whom dogs have given these gifts.

I really enjoyed Ms. Klam's stories and perspective. Her chapter on mourning the loss of a loved, dog companion ("Lesson 7: How to Mourn the Loss of a Friend"), almost had me in tears. It could only have been written by someone who has loved a dog, mourned his passing and remembers him still. She really gets it.

On the surface You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secret of Happiness might appear engaging only to dog lovers. However, lovers of witty writing, self-depreciating humor and personal growth journeys will also find Ms. Klam's memoirs enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Had Me at Woof.

Quotes Lady Jane Liked

Julie Klam
“A very wise dog woman once told me that dogs find owners, not the other way around. They pick you and they choose to stay with you. In that way, they are also giving you the end of their life. The deeper the bond, the harder it is to say good-bye. I know I’d rather have any amount of time with a dog I love and suffer the mourning than not have the time at all.”
Julie Klam, You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness