Will's Reviews > A Scanner Darkly

A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick

Jan 25, 08

Read in September, 2007

I like P.K. Dick, but this just plain sucked.

No narrative tension, the writing is awful (I would quote some of it as proof, but I already got rid of my copy), and the most potentially exciting elements of the book (drug subculture and its lingo and take on friendship, multiple identities) are handled with the zest and elegance of a cut-rate rectal exam. Does that analogy even make sense? I don't think so, but neither did this book.

I've heard this was the first book he wrote after he kicked drugs - which I certainly hope is not true because the book is decidedly un-hip for all its attempts to be otherwise. Usually Dick's weaker writing is forgivable because you can see him grasping at too many ideas; he's trying to cram so much into one story that his prose cannot contain the inventiveness. But with "A Scanner Darkly" you can see him trying to cash in on his drug experiences and years of paranoia but coming up with nothing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Scanner Darkly.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jason what PKD stuff do you like?

Wendy Terry No doubt. You can like his writing or not, but A Scanner Darkly was his best.

Victoria You completely miss the subtlety and absolute honesty in his portrayals.

Martina Tutková I got bored, didn´t finish it.