Sandra Strange's Reviews > The Wages of Wins: Taking Measure of the Many Myths in Modern Sport

The Wages of Wins by David J. Berri

2073676
Dec 13, 10

bookshelves: history-and-nonfiction
Read in December, 2010

In order to like this book, you must be interested in two categories, sports and economics. Though the authors do not include the esoteric mathematical computations and formulae they use to come up with their conclusions, they DO talk of the economics of sports to show how much of the accepted beliefs about economics and sports doesn't hold true, and which of those beliefs do. I found their breezy, informal style lots of fun to read, and though I have no training in economics, I understood their clear accounts of their reasoning. I learned a lot about how owners, managers and coaches make their player decisions, sometimes without basing those decisions on the economic truths they think they understand. but really do not. One problem: the book's most recent figures and examples come from the 2004 sports seasons, so as years go by, the book will become dated. Too bad. It's readable and informative.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wages of Wins.