Kendrah's Reviews > The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

F_50x66
Dec 13, 10

Read in December, 2010

While I agree with those who called this a Harry Potter rip off, you see those all over these days, and this is probably one of the most well done ones. I adored HP, and I'm falling head over heels for Percy Jackson. It's all the formulaic, childhood adventure novel that HP was, with the added bonus of being strictly focused on Greek mythology. Yes, some of it is predictable, but I think it's well done, and it really sucks you in. I saw the movie before I ever read the books, and I just have to say, that's a good way to do it. Like HP, a LOT was left out from the books. Hell, to some extent the changes are really, really glaring. But that just meant I was able to read it without knowing exactly what was going to happen, or how, or why. There is so much more depth in the book than there is in the movie, and I love that. And while yes, there are parallels to HP, they're broader than people make them out to be. For one, you have a fairly well adjusted boy as the lead. He isn't an orphan; he just has an annoying/horrible stepfather. His mother loves him dearly. And where Harry is a smart kid who gets teased a lot and bullied, and has a few instances of magic cropping up and causing weird things in his life... Percy struggles in school due to his dsylexia and other issues, and finds himself going from school to school. He meets his "bumbling friend" in the real world, before he finds out who/what he is, and said friend is actually fairly capable, being sent to protect HIM. Anyway, I could go on and on refuting the claims, but let's just leave it at this: while there may be similarities, this work really stands on its own, and I can't wait to read where the next book leads!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lightning Thief.