Joy's Reviews > Hidden Fires

2711937
Dec 20, 10

bookshelves: fantasy-magic, action-adventure, ebooks
Read from December 14 to 20, 2010

This one, while highly rated, didn't work for me. I won this through LTER (Library Thing Early Reviewers) and cut short my other queue to accommodate this and read and review it as soon as I could. So I gave it a try and I really wanted to appreciate it as a whole, but it didn't work for me.

First up, I'm not really a sci-fi fan, but I liked the Nualan concepts, how the author created a convincing world of different clans, planets, powers, and other technologically advanced stuff. She even made maps and the Nualan language, which helped a lot in telling time.

Second, Garth was searching for Silver (now known as Darame) for a hundred years and when he found her things got interesting because she recognized his facial features as that of belonging to her deceased friend Lisbeth (Garth's mother). There were a lot of things I didn't understand but I just read on and tried to make sense of things. I sorted out the good and the bad, the story wasn't really centered on Garth, but Darame as well.

I liked their morals, the fight for what the people believes in, but the love scene was over the top. I mean, sure it's ok to insert romance here between characters who don't really know each other, but I could do without it. So, there you have it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Fires.

12/14/2010

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Estara Ah well, a lot of the situation depends on you understanding the technical things that make it possible that Darame can recognise Garth. I read the first book in the series before this and I thought the explanation of the way that people travel was explained a bit clearer there - but these sort of things are often a factor in science fiction.

The way you wrote your review sounds as if Darame and Garth are in bed together ^^. You might want to point out that he gets seduced by a member of the opponents' group. As you pointed out, this book does not only belong to Garth.

message 2: by Joy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joy Estara wrote: "Ah well, a lot of the situation depends on you understanding the technical things that make it possible that Darame can recognise Garth. I read the first book in the series before this and I though..."

Estara Joy wrote: "Haha I didn't mean it to sound like that (Garth and Darame together), I must've omitted it by mistake. The seduction part led to something good for Garth and Lucy/Lulani. "

Right ^^. It's because Lucy wasn't mentioned in the review.