Jeri's Reviews > One Perfect Rose

One Perfect Rose by Mary Jo Putney

Dec 13, 10

Mary Jo Putney makes it very hard for reviewers. Having used all my favorite superlatives on her previous books, it is hard to review ONE PERFECT ROSE without repeating myself. So be it -- I may not be original, but I am sincere. It is fantastic; a wonderful read and another entry on my list of all-time favorites. I read it almost in one gulp, barely stirring the entire time. (I know from past experience to allow for a block of reading time, because it would take dynamite to separate me from a new book by this author.)

Stephen Kenyon, Duke of Ashburton, is escaping the trappings of his rank and position for the first time in his life. An unplanned trip into the English countryside brings him into the lives of a troupe of actors whose warm family affection draws him in, even as he fights his growing attraction for their elder daughter, Rosalind.

I loved Stephen and Rosalind as a couple. They seem to have an almost instant understanding of each other, and I like the fact that they act as partners from the first. I loved the theatrical background, the references to plays, Stephen's foray onto the stage and particularly the funny and lovable Fitzgerald family. I was totally immersed in ONE PERFECT ROSE; there were parts that made me laugh and parts that made me cry, and I finished it with the satisfaction of finding a new love. I don't know how Mary Jo Putney does it, but I hope she keeps right on doing it for a long, long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Perfect Rose.