Madelon's Reviews > Cybill Disobedience: How I Survived Beauty Pageants, Elvis, Sex, Bruce Willis, Lies, Marriage, Motherhood, Hollywood, and the Irrepressible Urge to Say What I Think

Cybill Disobedience by Cybill Shepherd

Dec 12, 2010

Read in December, 2010 — I own a copy

I don't read a lot of biography, and I don't read a lot of celebrity biography, but this was really a hard book to put down. I found it to be refreshingly honest, and that from a woman who describes herself as the consummate liar throughout her life.

I didn't know that Cybill Shepard was a singer. Now I do. I've checked out her voice in Amazon music and iTunes. I may be acquiring some of this music, bluesy, blowsy, Memphis music in the very near future.

I think the impetus to reading this comes from the sister telling me years ago that she though I looked like Cybill Shepherd, which got me watching Moonlighting, so I felt it would be apropos to read something about my namesake Maddie (even though I spell it Maddy).

There is a lot of honesty in this book by the liar, but not a lot of sensationalism. She is pretty forthright about her many conquests without naming a whole lot of names. I suppose if you pored over old celebrity magazines and trash newspapers, you could figure out who The Director was, or who The Suit was, but really who gives a damn. I came away from this feeling like I could sit down with Cybill wearing jeans and sneakers and sip some sweet tea chatting about this and that or just enjoying a companionable silence.

My sister comparing me to Cybill Shepherd is indeed a compliment in every possible way. Thanks for the Good Read, Cybill.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cybill Disobedience.

message 1: by Fran (last edited Dec 13, 2010 10:39AM) (new)

Fran Friel Not a big autobiography reader myself, Maddy, but you've convinced me to have a look at this one. Thanks!

Cybill Disobedience How I Survived Beauty Pageants, Elvis, Sex, Bruce Willis, Lies, Marriage, Motherhood, Hollywood, and the Irrepressible Urge to Say What I Think by Cybill Shepherd