Heather's Reviews > Dead Reckoning

Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris

May 09, 11

bookshelves: mystery-thriller, fantasy
Read from May 03 to 08, 2011

Hmmm….I had mixed feelings on this one. While I did enjoy it, I never really got very excited about the story. Normally, with this series, I feel some degree of excitement. But I felt pretty lukewarm toward this one. There was a lot going on within the story, it was pretty fast-paced, but I’m starting to feel like the stories are just more of the same thing just spun a different way. And I really hate to say that because I am a huge fan of this series and have really enjoyed reading them. I’m also starting to get weary of being strung along with a couple of the story lines that never seem to be resolved. Don’t get me wrong….I’m still very much invested in the series and will more than likely be knocking down the door to get my hands on the next book when it’s released. But I really hope that Harris throws some new-feeling material at us because the series is starting to feel stale. :(
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Reckoning.

05/03/2011 page 91
27.0% 2 comments
05/07/2011 page 236
67.0% "Hoping to finish this today."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Silvana ahhh soookie is out! *panic*

Heather Yes! When are you starting on it?

Silvana sorry, just saw this message. already done :D

Kimberly B. Can't wait to read your review Heather! I'm still on the waiting list for this at the library.

Heather I liked it, Kimberly, but it wasn't a series favorite for me. I'll be curious to hear what you think about it!

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky *cough* I'm glad I didn't waste my time on on this one. If you felt lukewarm about it, I'd have probably chucked it in the garbage disposal. But then I couldn't even make it to 1/2 of the last one... so... *shrug*

Heather LOL Yeah, I doubt you'd have been any more impressed with this one than you were with the last, Becky. I don't know what happened. You know how I feel about this series...I just didn't connect much at all with this book. And I really don't think I can chalk it up to my mood or anything because I was totally geared up to read this. It just felt like reading more of the same thing, you know? The fact that it took me almost a week to read it speaks volumes. I typically devour these books when I read them. :/

message 8: by Jackie (last edited May 09, 2011 12:50PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jackie Oh NO!!!!!

From yours and Allison's take on it I'm glad I ordered this one from the library instead of buying it.

Heather I feel bad for feeling let down...like I'm betraying the characters and the series, which is stupid I know. LOL It's like I'm inching over to join Becky on the dark side or something. Noooooooo!! :P

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky LOL! If "the dark side" is expecting books to be enjoyable and well written, I'll gladly live in shadow! I overlooked a lot of really ridiculous stuff for this series for a long time, as much as it shames me to say it. Stuff like Harris forgetting her own characters' names. I can only take so much of that kind of stuff. Not to mention I just stopped liking the characters and it was obvious that Harris had no intention of taking the series in any direction that would satisfy me.

The series is a cash cow and she knows it, and so she'll drag it out as long as she can and the stories will get worse and worse.

You'll see. *Calling it*

Heather Man, I really hope you're wrong B... I've gotten a lot of enjoyment from this series and I'll feel soooo disappointed if she lets it go to pot. I'm hoping she uses the two upcoming books to wrap up the series and end it on a high note. Not milk it for all it's worth and me not be able to stand to read them anymore. That would just suck!

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky I'd say that it's already gone, but that's just me. I don't consider myself a Charlaine Harris fan anymore. I liked the series at first, and probably would have continued to enjoy it for a while longer if I was an Eric fan, but I'm not, and so her turning the story into an Eric-fest just did nothing for me.

And I don't even like SOOKIE anymore, and that's really bad. She's never been my favorite character of all time or anything, but I could at least get where she was coming from in the beginning. At the end, I just wanted to strangle her. And hearing every stupid thought in her head was just too much for me. Especially when it was about her cousin and how amazingly gorgeous he is and how sexy he is and blah blah blah. Charlaine really likes to keep it in the family it seems.

In short, I stopped caring about the characters, and when that happens, that's all she wrote for me. I can overlook typos and the like, (and I did) but I can't forget that I hate all of the book's characters' guts. It just kinda sticks there in my mind... *hate hate hate* O_o

Kimberly B. Hmmm...this conversation definitely doesn't bode well for the series. I have to agree though--it feels a bit like Harris is whoring out the series to make more money. Also, I'm not a big fan of the faerie aspects that she has focused more on in recent books. I'm glad I'm getting this one from the library.

Heather Kimberly, I'm not digging the whole fae story line either. I keep hoping that it will just wrap up and be done, but she's got it so imbedded in the story now that I don't guess we'll be seeing the end of it any time soon. Unfortunately.

Becky, I hear ya and I totally agree with you...No sense continuing with a series if you're not enjoying the characters at all. That would be pointless and I don't blame you for calling it quits. Honestly, that right there is part of what had me a little worried while reading this...This is the first book of the series where I can say I just didn't care all that much about what was happening to the characters. There was almost no attachment there. The characters, the story, it all felt very flat. Even the chemistry between the characters seemed to be gone. I know you're not an Eric fan, but you know I am ;) and that chemistry and tension between him and Sookie was a big part of what drew me to the books and why I kept on picking them up. Now that I'm not feeling that...I don't know where that leaves me with this series. There were small indicators of that shift in the last book, but I really felt it here in this one. It's disappointing... :(

Kimberly B. I have to jump back in here since I just finished the book. I'm sad about the loss of chemistry between Sookie and Eric too--I just don't buy their relationship/love for one another. This book is by far my least favorite of the series. Feel free to read my review.

Heather Yep, it's my least favorite of the series too, Kimberly. I'm off to check out your review!