John Wiswell's Reviews > Sh*t My Dad Says

Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern

Dec 12, 10

Read in December, 2010

Some guy's dad swears at him a lot and is general insensitive. The end.

Under 140 characters. How about that.

If you've ever been rejected from any sort of publication, the notion that a secondhand Twitter account became a bestseller may make you cut yourself. But they didn't simply print the Twitter page. The book collects many of Halpern's father's funnier sayings ("Nobody likes practice, but what's worse: practicing, or sucking at something?...Oh, give me a fucking break, practicing is not worse than practicing."), while packaging several with related anecdotes. So you learn about the time a child Halpern crawled around under the desks and on the feet of scientists at a lecture, and the time his dad tipped very heavily, and the time he tried to a ditch a pet dog that shat too often. There's nothing particularly appealing about the prose style, life lived or humor; it'd be boring if we weren't waiting for his father to explode. It's all a question of whether a crotchety old man saying ""Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later it's because it fucked you." will eventually get tiresome. For me, it lasted just long enough in the bathroom of a friend, for free. You can always test the book for free by reading their Twitter feed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sh*t My Dad Says.