Kathryn's Reviews > Seduced by Moonlight

Seduced by Moonlight by Laurell K. Hamilton

Dec 12, 10

bookshelves: fiction, sci-fi-fantasy
Read in December, 2010

I liked this one better than the previous two, although I'm still trying to figure out why. It had all the elements that annoy me; overused phrases, CRAWLING pace, detailed page long summaries of what anyone is wearing. (One bit in particular made me laugh: "The first thing I noticed about him was his coat, not usually the first thing I noticed about the guards of the sidhe." BWAHAHAHAHA. Oh come on now.) And of course Merry is still the Mary-Sue perfect-not-that-she'll-ever-admit-it character, gorgeous and desirable and obviously the magical savior of her entire race, but still hated by just about every person IN that race. But Merry IS likable, especially in the way that she'll jump in to protect someone, even when that person doesn't particularly like HER. She's won at least one new lover this way in this book, possibly four. And "Seduced by Moonlight" is nicely book-ended with an interesting conversation with the Goblin King in the beginning, and quite a lot of blood and intrigue at the end. Sometimes you have to wonder why Hamilton turns out so much treacle when she's capable of making you laugh by mashing together the fantastical and archaic with the everyday. "Frost pouted, and it made me tired to see it. He was amazing in bed, a wondrous warrior, but shoveling his emotional shit was nearly a full-time job." And of course, if you get bored with the constant ARGUING, there's always the sex. I don't know if I'll have the attention span to read all, what, seven? Eight novels? But I'm entertained enough to keep going for now.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seduced by Moonlight.