NovelReaction's Reviews > Pegasus

Pegasus by Robin McKinley

Dec 12, 10

For over a 1,000 years Pegasus and humans have performed a bonding ritual when the child reaches the age of 12, to keep the peace in the land. Pegasus by Robin McKinley follows the bonding of Princess Sylviianel and Pegasus Ebon, whose bonding is different from any that has existed before in they can talk to each other without a magician to interpret. Sylvi and Ebon form a close bond but both feel pressures from their respective parents to keep quiet about their bond.

Sylvi starts to realize that everything they thought they knew about the Pegasus is off and she struggles to know what to relate to others and what to keep quiet about. Palace politics start to escalate to limit Slyvi’s relationship with Ebon at the same time she is invited to be the first human to visit the Pegasus land. Sylvi becomes the first human to visits the Pegasus’ home but while she is gone the Palace politics jeopardize her very friendship with Ebon.

Robin McKinley has the unique ability of immersing you in the world she has created without explaining every detail. As the main character learns more about the world, the reader learns more about the world but we never know more than the main character. Pegasus describes the fantastical creatures in enough detail to give the reader a general idea of the description but leaves most of the details to the imagination of the reader. The relationship between Sylvi and Ebon is great and I loved how they snuck out at night to go flying together. If I had a Pegasus for a friend that is what I would want to do. The story felt like it drug a little when Sylvi was visiting the Pegasus but other than that I loved the novel. Robin McKinley has been one of my favorite authors since I was in high school and she doesn’t disappoint with Pegasus. Pegasus was left wide open and I eagerly await the next novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pegasus.