◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj 's Reviews > The Gathering

The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

Aug 23, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from August 21 to 23, 2011

I read Kelley Armstrong's previous YA book, The Summoning and despite it being pretty popular, I unfortunately didn't like it. I'm not sure why. So because of that I wasn't going to read The Gathering. However, I was certainly interested in this novel and heard that even if you didn't read the entire Darkest Powers series, you could still read Darkness Rising. I was hoping I wouldn't regret giving Kelley Armstrong's writing a second chance and, well, after reading this book I don't regret it. AT ALL.

Right away from the prologue, I fell straight into the story which starts out with a mysterious death. I knew this book was about werewolves so I immediately began trying to link the two together. I was about a third into the book and I was already seriously LOVING it, even though the paranormal part hadn't really come up. In fact, most of the book was more focused on the mystery rather than the paranormal and I didn't mind that at all. I was enjoying learning about this small town and the mysterious things going on, and there was A LOT going on. I did have a couple things already figured out by myself but I was still shocked at some of the twists. The ending did feel a little rushed, but I'm expecting book two to make up for that!

Maya was such an awesome character! She definitely wasn't the typical heroine that some YA novels have. Maya actually had a smart brain in which she thought and stood up for herself, but what I liked the most about her was her humor. She managed to crack me up more than a few times. Daniel was, wow, such a sweety! I liked that he didn't have that typical best-guy-friend-who's-secretly-in-love-with-the-girl role. At least, not yet. Rafe sounded like a sleaze ball to me at first, but I warmed up to him...eventually. The rest of the characters were pretty great too, like the shy and kind Nicole to the intimidating Sam.

This book was definitely unique and stood out from the other YA novels that I read. I could really connect with the characters and felt really pulled into the story. I loved that it took place in Canada because not a lot of the YA books I like to read take place where I live. Even though I don't live in BC, I was just happy with the fact that it was Canadian because I'M Canadian. I dunno why.

I'm still confused as to why I didn't like Kelley Armstrong's previous book. It certainly couldn't have been her writing because she can really write well. Maybe it was just the story? Eh, I might re-read The Summoning one day. But for now, I'll look forward to her next books in the Darkness Rising series.

4.5/5
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gathering.

Quotes ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj Liked

Kelley Armstrong
“Rafe didn't just flirt-he charmed girls right up to the point where they fell for him, then he changed his mind.I called him a player with attention deficit disorder.”

Kelley Armstrong
“Yes you're getting your tattoo." I threw my arms around Dad's neck. "Thank you!" "Hey," Mom said. "I'm the one who had to persuade him it wasn't turning his little girl into a streetwalker." "I never said that," Dad said. "No?" I said. "Cool. Cause I've decided to skip the paw print. I'm thinking of a tramp stamp with flames that says 'Hot in Here.' No wait. Arrows. For directionally challenged guys”

Kelley Armstrong
“This is so cool," I said loudly as Dad walked away. "Have you met the tattoo artist? Is he hot?" "He's a she," Mom said. "Is she hot? Cause I'm still young, you know. My sexual identity isnt fully formed." "Your father can't hear you anymore, Maya." Mom sighed.”

Kelley Armstrong
“Another night then,' Mom said. 'Maybe on the weekend we can have a barbecue and invite your sister.'

'Or,' I said turning to Rafe, 'if you want to skip the whole awkward meet-the-family social event you could just submit your life story including your view on politics religion and every social issue imaginable along with anything else you think they might need to conduct a thorough background check.'

Mom sighed. 'I really don't know why we even bother trying to be subtle around you.'

'Neither do I. It's not like he isn't going to realize he's being vetted as daughter-dating material.'

Rafe grinned. 'So we are dating.'

'No. You have to pass the parental exam first. It'll take you awhile to compile the data. They'd like it in triplicate.' I turned to my parents. 'We have Kenjii. We have my cell phone. Since we aren't yet officially dating I'm sure you'll agree that's all the protection we need.'

Dad choked on his coffee.”
Kelley Armstrong, The Gathering

08/21/2011 "I hope I like this book more than I liked The Summoning...prove me wrong, Kelley Armstrong."
08/22/2011 page 101
28.0% "Wow, I'm really enjoying this book! And we haven't even really gotten to the paranormal part yet XD"
08/22/2011 page 205
57.0% "Haha, I love Maya! She's freakin' hiiiiilarious. And now I have a craving for a deep fried Aero bar. And Poutine."