Meg's Reviews > Sundays at Tiffany's

Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson

Jan 25, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: 52booksin52weeks-07-08, arc
Recommended for: romantics who border on the creepy side
Read in January, 2008

OK, I finished. I didn't know I could roll my eyes that hard. I'm pretty sure a dude was watching me on the Metro as I closed the book multiple times, tried to refrain from making noises of disgust, and rolled my eyes at every paragraph. Seriously, they took a tolerable (if sort of creepy) book and then KILLED IT in the last 50 pages. Oh god.

Yeah. Well, hey James Patterson and person whose name will be tiny on the cover but probably wrote most of the book, I gave 1 star to JD Salinger too, so at least you're in good company? (I guess?)

***

DAY 1 of reading:

The advanced reader's copy came in at work today. After reading the back, it was sort of like I was compelled to read it, because surely, it could not be a book about a woman falling in love with her childhood imaginary best friend.

It is.

And while it has its flaws, it is sort of oddly entertaining, in that sort of if I turn my brain off this book is maybe ok, as long as I pretend it isn't a creepy knock-off of the Time Traveler's Wife with a minor plot change.

I've got maybe another 60-75 pages to go, which I will probably read over my morning latte at work, so I'll let you know how that goes.
53 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sundays at Tiffany's.

05/19 marked as: read

Penny Right on Meg! Even the cover of my edition gets one star. It shows them kissing in the snow (I think!!) Did that happen?

drowningmermaid I really tried to turn off my brain and enjoy it, the premise seemed so promising. But it just got weirder... and weirder... venturing into the distinctly wrong-feeling, and--

Mrs. V was not a misunderstood soul who just needed an imaginary friend to hold her hand. Because she wasn't.

Barb Well, finally someone said what I've been thinking. Yeah for you. I totally agree. I used to love James Patterson's book and am finding out real quick that he isn't writing most of these now adays. He gets all these other people to write them and then his name sells them. I am getting away from some of his books now. I'm moving on to other writers I like more.

Mary Jane I totally agree with you. James Patterson shouldn't write romance novels, he needs to stick with thrillers.

The ending was a total shocker though :)

Stefani Hahaha I just made my review and I said the same thing - I haven't openly rolled my eyes at book like this so much in SO long! I groaned, I rolled my eyes, I scoffed, I even had to shut it once because it was just that bad!

message 6: by LondonFog (last edited Dec 12, 2010 10:16PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

LondonFog I can never find it in my heart to give a book ONE star, so I gave it two... But that's not for anything flattering other than the fact that I love and respect books in general, regardless of whether I agree/like them.

This book was a bit too sloppily written. Not much was explained. At the very least it lacked a lot of depth, it was rather grimy and vulgarly patched up and the protagonist was not very admirable in many occasions. A bit "pitiful" some would say.

So yeah, I can understand why it would be hard to really flow with this book even if you don't have a logical brain nagging at you left and right.

It's hard to bite the hook with this one.

Jennie Davenport i couldn't agree more! such a promising premise but so horribly executed!

drowningmermaid Jennie wrote: "i couldn't agree more! such a promising premise but so horribly executed!"

Maybe if there was some sort of explanation for the "reality" of imaginary friends. Like, say, imaginary friends are really sparkly vampires who are only visible to small children.

Maybe if the imaginary friend hadn't been described as a kind of father-figure. Ugh.

It's like paranormal romance meets Barney. NOT a comfortable combination.

I was hoping for a kind of 'childhood friends meet again as adults and forge a new, and real relationship.' Perhaps with the hint of mystery promised by the back cover:

"For once in her life, Jane is happy--and has someone who loves her back. But not even Michael knows the reason behind why they've really been reunited."

Read the book. Still not sure I know why, either.

message 9: by Nina (new) - rated it 1 star

Nina I rarely write reviews but I had to write one for this one because it was so bad.

Regarding the cover, the picture is a brown-haired woman hugging man...? But it makes no sense because the main character is blonde. They didn't even get the cover right, what a joke.

message 10: by Artese (new)

Artese I haven't even read the entire book yet, just the prologue but based onthe reviews, I'll pass.

message 11: by Jade (new) - added it

Jade Lucille For me, it was nice. I mean really nice to go on reading. It's not predictable either and almost at the last part, it made me cry. The ending what somewhat like a fairytale and that's what brings a big smile on my face. Im searching for similar books like this....

drowningmermaid Jade wrote: "For me, it was nice. I mean really nice to go on reading. It's not predictable either and almost at the last part, it made me cry. The ending what somewhat like a fairytale and that's what brings a..."

Have you read The Time Traveller's Wife ? Off the top of my head, that one seems the most similar to this...