Xenia0201's Reviews > The Giver

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Dec 27, 10

Read in December, 2010

I started reading this at 8:22 and I was done in roughly 2 hours. I couldn't put it down. Lowry is one of my favorite authors and I can't believe I missed this one. This is a coming of age story about a 12 year old boy in a community that exemplfies Communism in every way, but people are content because they do not know of any other way of life. Their world is devoid of hills and valleys, colors and even weather, after it was converted to "Sameness". They dispose of the elderly and infants when it becomes apparent they will need special or extra care. No member of the community is ever singled out or rewarded for achievement. There are curfews that do not allow them to leave their homes after dark and everything is rationed. Spouses are chosen by the Elders of the community and children are given to couples after approval. It made me think of a lot of things...about the state of the world we are living in now and how small freedoms are gradually being taken away from us. In 50, 75 or 100 years, would the community in this book be our world? I doubt it, but it certainly makes you apprecipate our ability to feel emotion and to learn from our past and present. Beautifully and brilliantly written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.